cheap lube!!!!

Share your projects and problem solving with other forum members! New sub-forum for 3D printer projects for your reloading needs.
todddoyka
My Press Choice: Single Stage

cheap lube!!!!

Post by todddoyka »

i bought a 99% isopropyl alcohol and a jar of lanolin to see if they could work. i used all of my hornady one shot lube so i decided if alcohol/lanolin would do the job. i wasn't too impressed but i am CHEAP!!!! i took 8oz of isopropyl and 1 oz of lanolin. i put them in a sealed peanut butter jar and then i put them in hot water. 10-15 minutes later the lanolin melted into the alcohol and it was put into my plastic sprayer bottle.

i had 150-200 20 vartarg cases that needed reloaded. so i got ziplok bag and put 20vt cases in and i sprayed the mixture into to it. i took my 20vt fl resizer and i gave it a shot of mixture. i waited about 5-10 minutes and i began to resize.

i was in la-la land!!!! the ease of the dried cases was like melted butter over toast! i was impressed!!!!! not once did i feel the cases were stuck or the neck expander go into and out. it was put the case into the reloader, pull the handle, push the handle, take out the case and begin again. hornady one shot be danged, there is a new sheriff in town. his name is The Mixture!!!!

this is who i got the mixture from,
​Μολών λαβέ !

todd
daboone
Founding Member
Founding Member

Re: cheap lube!!!!

Post by daboone »

Yep it is an excellent lube. I use it and Lee lube both. Can't say I really have a preference. "The Mixture" dries a little faster but the Lee requires no clean up. It's toss for me.
An ignorant person is one who doesn't know what you have just found out.

When setting a job up for myself it must be Idiot Proof as well, as I am a bigger idiot than most people I know, and I prove it to myself everyday.
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by GasGuzzler »

RD's Lee/alcohol mix dries fast and requires no clean up.

I thought you found cheap bullet lube. I made mine 5+ years ago on run5's recipe and it works well.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from goin' insane.
Macd
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Macd »

Reforming a case to another caliber puts case lube to the test. I use the alcohol/Lee spray lube and it works a charm. For resizing, one tube of the Lee lube mixture does thousands of cases no problem.
mr surveyor
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Post by mr surveyor »

when I first started "hammering out" 357, 38 and 9mm brass in January of 2011, I took Mr's Lee's advice from the book to use the Lee case lube and alcohol. It got mixed at a ratio of about 30/70 (lube/alcohol) in a kitchen type spray bottle. Throw the brass in a zip-lock (I'm still using the same "well seasoned" bag from 2011), give it a couple of squirts, then take it out and stand it up while getting the tools ready for re-sizing. I even do my 30-30 bottle neck cases the same, except I always wipe the semi-dried lube from the case necks (and swirl a lubed Q-Tip inside the case mouth) before it hits the sizing die. Never had the first glitch. Although I rarely lube handgun brass, as I've mentioned before, about 20% of my 9mm brass does get the case lube treatment. My Lee carbide sizing die just absolutely requires a routine, occasional, lubed 9mm case.

I have no problem with the Lee lube/alcohol mix.

jd
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There's just some things best left unsaid on the internetsuperhighway.

Return to “DIY Projects & Tips”