Good Primer Catcher for the LoadMaster

Share your projects and problem solving with other forum members! New sub-forum for 3D printer projects for your reloading needs.
EdgeOfEden
My Press Choice: Progressive

Good Primer Catcher for the LoadMaster

Post by EdgeOfEden »

I almost never lose a good primer down my LoadMaster. The operative words, however, being "almost never". When I know I'm setup to do a certain number of primed rounds and end up short, I know what's happened and I hate sorting through a bunch of spent primers to find the good one(s).

I spotted this mod on YouTube and thought I'd share it here. It easily resolves the issue, and involves using a 30-06 case. Just perform the following:

[tab=30]1. Drill out the primer pocket and step up incrementally in drill size until most of head is drilled out
[tab=30]2. Flare the hole with a reamer.
[tab=30]3. Crimp the mouth of the case closed or add a bullet and crimp it to close it off.
[tab=30]4. Drill a small hole through the extractor groove and run a very thin wire through it.

You now have a catch bin that is placed in the carrier near the primer pin to catch any strays. When done with a reloading session, you can easily remove the shell plate and lift the case out via the wire. I like to use a scribe to grab the wire. One caveat: If this is fired brass, either resize it or you will need to grind/file the case down for it to fit inside the carrier.

Here's a pic of the final product:
Good Primer Catcher.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “DIY Projects & Tips”