Lee Bench Plate System Mod

Share your projects and problem solving with other forum members! New sub-forum for 3D printer projects for your reloading needs.
daboone
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Re: Lee Bench Plate System Mod

Post by daboone »

Ranch Dog wrote:I agree they have made my Load-Masters very stable.
OK how does adding any mounting system make a press more stable than direct attachment to a rock solid bench? Being a grumpy ornery ugly old man I've never seen the logic of bench plates other than lack of bench space thus the need for swapping tools.

I have 3 benches all of different heights. Now to solve that problem I have a height adjustable stool.
An ignorant person is one who doesn't know what you have just found out.

When setting a job up for myself it must be Idiot Proof as well, as I am a bigger idiot than most people I know, and I prove it to myself everyday.
EdgeOfEden
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by EdgeOfEden »

daboone wrote:OK how does adding any mounting system make a press more stable than direct attachment to a rock solid bench?
Your operative description was "rock solid bench". If you already have that, one reason a person might want the Lee Bench Plate System is the versatility it offers in quickly changing out presses for people with limited bench space. I kind of fit that category as I manage to always use up the bench real estate I have.

As far as rigidity, any time you add more layers you are adding strength. There's a reason that 3/4" laminate is stronger than 3/8" or simply gluing/bolting another board or steel plate to your existing bench. I actually wish the Lee bottom plate was larger as it would further spread out the forces in play while operating the press. As it is, it definitely helps weaker bench tops against the forces applied to the edge of the bench top.

I also use an Inline Fabrication Ultra Mount for my LoadMaster. It elevates the press right up for easy observation of the stations and I can easily remove two thumb screws and swap it out and put my vice in for working on my AR or other things. While that bench has 1.5" butcher block, it still spreads the forces out even further.

The nice thing about our reloading rooms is that they are our creation and we can all have what works for us. By sharing ideas we offer other people the opportunity to see if something might work for them. Curt Vaughn gave me this idea through one of his videos and I thought it would definitely work for me and it has. For others the mileage may vary. :)
Old Scribe
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by Old Scribe »

All of the comments are appreciated. That's one reason why this forum is great!
I fit into several of the aforementioned scienerios.
Also, being retired and not under the gun :lol: to get any production going, I don't mind that I have to bolt and unbolt my presses. It keeps me out of the house, away from the TV and clears my head of worldly problems. I call it good therapy.
"Well here's another nice mess you've gotten me into." Oliver Hardy

Return to “DIY Projects & Tips”