Free Float Press Shellholder

Share your projects and problem solving with other forum members! New sub-forum for 3D printer projects for your reloading needs.
buckeye43210
250 Shots
250 Shots
My Press Choice: Progressive

Free Float Press Shellholder

Post by buckeye43210 »

[mod="Ranch Dog"]These replies are worth saving in a standalone topic.[/mod]
EdgeOfEden wrote: Finally, if you are all about precision, a Lee Single Stage Classic Cast, would likely be my recommendation. Plus if you follow Glen Zediker's advice and remove the shell holder spring clip on the ram, you can replace it with a 7/8 o.d. x 11/16 i.d. x 3/32 thick O-Ring. This gives you a fully free floating shell plate. It works great. It's just a little slower getting the case in and out. With this mod I don't see how even the most expensive press can outperform it, but that's just my opinion.
Found an article Squeeze More Accuracy by Glen Zediker in Guns Magazine describing the O-Ring modification, and more...

Happy Hacking!
EdgeOfEden

Re: Free Float Press Shellholder

Post by EdgeOfEden »

Yes, that's it exactly. Nice Pic!
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

I think this can be a very important fix. Where I saw the biggest problem with the spring clip canting the shell holder is with small pistol cases like the 25 and 32 Auto. It cants them enough that they won't enter the sizing die.
Michael
Macd
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by Macd »

Gotta try this. I have two shell holders which are really hard, near impossible, to mount and it seems to be the spring that is the problem.
EdgeOfEden

Post by EdgeOfEden »

What impresses me about this is that while precision long range shooters are looking to employ presses like the Forster Co-Ax and even now the MEC Marksman because of their ability to float the brass case, we can now do essentially the same for the price of an O-Ring. Amazing.
Old Scribe
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by Old Scribe »

I'm going to try this! I too have a shell holder or two that are a PITA to mount. Good one to bookmark.
"Well here's another nice mess you've gotten me into." Oliver Hardy
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by GasGuzzler »

Not a naysayer just a question....doesn't this make handling the brass take 3X longer? Seems like getting it in and out would take a while. Then again, the press stopping and starting because of canted cases isn't efficient either.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from goin' insane.
EdgeOfEden

Post by EdgeOfEden »

GasGuzzler wrote:Not a naysayer just a question....doesn't this make handling the brass take 3X longer? Seems like getting it in and out would take a while....
Yes, it does take a little longer to place the shell plate--not the brass case. While this technique will definitely work for canted cases, Glen Zediker suggested it for precision very long range shooting. When I read this tip, it came from his book entitled, "Top-Grade Ammo". You can see from the title his emphasis. He wanted to give the Lee Reloader a free floating shell holder for precision bullet seating. This it will definitely do, as the o-ring allows for perfect alignment. I am going to use it when I reload 6.5 Creedmoor for my bolt action rifle.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

GasGuzzler wrote:Not a naysayer just a question....doesn't this make handling the brass take 3X longer? Seems like getting it in and out would take a while. Then again, the press stopping and starting because of canted cases isn't efficient either.
The case canting is the reason why I moved the 32 Auto to the Load-Master and thank goodness they made a special run of the 25 Auto shell plates. That put all my pistol reloading the progressives.

Anybody using the O-Ring on a turret press?
Michael
EdgeOfEden

Post by EdgeOfEden »

Yes, I have used it on my Lee classic turret. It will work with two major caveats:

1. You can size and seat, but you really can't on a practical level deprime or prime on the press because the shell holder being free floating rotates on the ram.

2. If you are using something like the inline fabrication case ejector, it really doesn't work well again because the shell holder tends to rotate out of alignment.

Bottom line: If you're about production, it's not a practical solution. Precision, yes. Production, no.

Return to “DIY Projects & Tips”