Vaseline

Share your projects and problem solving with other forum members! New sub-forum for 3D printer projects for your reloading needs.
daboone
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Re: Vaseline

Post by daboone »

I finished cleaning my benches today, 2 reloading and the project bench. One press got Vaseline and the other 30wt. Test in progress, result in 3 months. 8-)

The current project that occupied the project bench (an 1803 Harper's Ferry 50 Cal) was stowed away in preparation of the annual Pine Wood Derby build, A grandson will be here tonight for the weekend and the serious work will begin. :D
An ignorant person is one who doesn't know what you have just found out.

When setting a job up for myself it must be Idiot Proof as well, as I am a bigger idiot than most people I know, and I prove it to myself everyday.
horseman
Supporter
Supporter

Post by horseman »

Old Scribe wrote:I went from WD40 to Vaseline a while back on all my presses and it's better than peanut butter on toast. Doubt I'll change...but you never know.

There's no way Vaseline is better on toast than peanut butter, not even with grape jelly.. :lol: Yes just being a smart azz, I know what you meant... :D

I actually started using PJ after reading Ranch Dog's glowing remarks a while back. It does work very well. Like daBoone I used to use motor oil on the rams of my presses.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by Ranch Dog »

Kind of leading back to RB comments on the lube collecting dust/dirt, PJ is much easier to clean off and start over than anything else I've used. I don't have the dust/dirt, but I've been known to spill powder. Oil or grease makes it near impossible to remove.
Michael
daboone
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by daboone »

RD maybe I missed it but what are you using to clean between applications?

When setting a job up for myself it must be Idiot Proof as well, as I am a bigger idiot than most people I know, and I prove it to myself everyday.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

daboone wrote:RD maybe I missed it but what are you using to clean between applications?
Nothing other than the PJ that was applied to lubricate. Clean paper towels and all the old stuff along with any debris will come with it. You don't need any solvents to remove the lube.
Michael
horseman
Supporter
Supporter

Post by horseman »

daboone wrote:RD maybe I missed it but what are you using to clean between applications?

Not new to anyone I'm sure, the easiest (I didn't say best :D ) product I've used to clean old oil or grease from my presses (and many other items as well) is WD 40. I just spray it on (whatever) and wipe it off with blue shop towels. No "degreaser" left on the metal (as some de-greasers will leave a "film") to (maybe) contaminate whatever lubricant I'm using. WD 40 is also very, very, good at cleaning the lube from your lube dies if/when changing lubes in the lubrasizer. But as RD said, just wiping things down with a shop towel will work as well....lots of ( ) and " " in the post huh... :oops:
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

I use WD-40 on my casting equipment, cleans the molds up real pretty after use. Same with my pots, both Lee, and the Hot Pot-2. After rinsing the mold with scalding water afterward, I use compressed air to dry it, and then spray a fresh, light coat of WD-40 on the mold and blow the excess off with the air.

After I gas check the bullets, I spray them with WD-40 and send them through the Lee Sizers to seat them.

I use PVC pipe cleaner to clean dies that accumulate bullet lube. It is immediate and that little applicator in the metal can top is a perfect fit for most of the bullet seating dies, Factory Crimp Dies, and sizers. This isn't as much of a thing as it was once for me as with all my pistol bullets I'm moving away from the Ben's Liquid Lube to White Label Lube's 2500+ and my Lyman 4500 because of the bullet feeders on the Load-Masters.

I've started to use the WLL with my rifle bullets as well. After they are lubed I rise them with Rooster Jacket and let them dry for a hard, not sticky finish.
Michael
bayou
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Post by bayou »

Lubing the press ram is very important as we all know. I find that a light oil like Marvel Mystery Oil, 3-in-1 or silicone oil all work well

Cleaning the press ram is also very important, too. The press housing for the ram harbors a lot of contaminants because it's a tight fit with the ram in it. To clean the ram and press housing without dissasembly, I use spray carburetor cleaner for the ram and press housing to clean/flush out old oil and grime. Work the ram and wipe it until its clean. Repeat until clean.

Then, apply a bit of fresh oil. Seems to work fine...
bayou
NRA Life Member
rog54

Post by rog54 »

I have just begun trying Ballistol. Remembered Hickok 45 saying he liked it. Then saw it in the background on a video of someone's bench. After a couple days it seems to be working good. The ram feels much more slipperier and not dredging up as much of the black crude I assume is coming from the cast iron. I had been using a lighter oil, (lighter than 30). It seemed being lighter it would find its way in there better. And it came in a bottle with a very nice extendable application tube!

Rog P.S. Ballistol stinks! stinks worse than Vaseline!
daboone
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by daboone »

[quote="rog54" P.S. Ballistol stinks! stinks worse than Vaseline![/quote]

Oh now "thems" fighting words! :lol:

Return to “DIY Projects & Tips”