RUN OUT / BULLETS NOT CENTERED

Share your projects and problem solving with other forum members! New sub-forum for 3D printer projects for your reloading needs.
daboone
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Single Stage

RUN OUT / BULLETS NOT CENTERED

Post by daboone »

Problem: I just spent an hour getting frustrated by runout or bullets not centering in their cases. Now this was on my CO-AX press but the lightbulb in my old brain went on when I finally remember what the cure was for my old Lee press.

Solution: The base of the shellplate or the shellholder wasn't clean. A small amount of dirt or powder had built up in the shellholder or in this case my shellplate and thus was causing the case's base to sit at an very very slight angle. Out comes a retired toothbrush, some acetone and a little elbow grease and problem solved.

Note: This will not solve all TIR (total run out) issues but I'm not concerned with that kind of precision. I'll leave neck turning and reaming to you benchrest boys.
An ignorant person is one who doesn't know what you have just found out.

When setting a job up for myself it must be Idiot Proof as well, as I am a bigger idiot than most people I know, and I prove it to myself everyday.
Poppop
250 Shots
250 Shots
My Press Choice: Turret

Re: RUN OUT / BULLETS NOT CENTERED

Post by Poppop »

Seems like something we don't consider when cleaning our dies.
Good tip.
If all else fails--look for the obvious
MAGA
mr surveyor
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Post by mr surveyor »

you mention cleaning off the shell plate holder ..... one thing I won't recommend is dropping it into an ultrasonic cleaner with Lemi Shine. I accidentally picked up one with a batch of .357 brass that had just been de-primed and it ran through the cleaning cycle with the brass. I'm not sure what the finish is on the Lee shell plates, but it can't stand up to the Lemi Shine - at least not in the presence of the brass. It's still useful, but it now can rust if not cared for.

jd
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There's just some things best left unsaid on the internetsuperhighway.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by Ranch Dog »

All good points. Keep a toothbrush near the press just for keeping the groove on the shellholder clean.

If your offset is setup by bullets not being balanced/aligned on the case mouth, a bit of bees wax on the base of the bullet will stick it perfectly as you can place it. I've been using an NRA formula stick for just this purpose for years. I have the Sinclair run-out tool and whether the case needs to be stuck on the case or not, this little effort reduces or eliminates run-out
Michael
daboone
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by daboone »

I need to clarify something I said in the opening post. I said that base of the shellholder and or shellplate and that is misleading. What I meant to say was the contact surface, the inletted groove in which the case is inserted.

RD point is also well taken. A bullet can't just be haphazardly plopped on top of a case and expected to self center into the case.
An ignorant person is one who doesn't know what you have just found out.

When setting a job up for myself it must be Idiot Proof as well, as I am a bigger idiot than most people I know, and I prove it to myself everyday.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Yeap, one grain of powder spilled in that groove will upset things and powder is tougher than you think. It does not crush easily. I've seen one grain of powder stuck on the threads of the aluminum adjusting screw on a die set strip those threads
Michael
Blanco
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by Blanco »

I load all my rifle ammo on my classic cast turret press. One of the ways I deal with runout is to seat the projectile in several steps. I turn the brass in the shell holder 1/3 of a turn and seat the projectile a bit farther with each stroke.
Interestingly I recently found a large number of Norma target .308 Win. Had off center necks or off center bases. All my Remington and Federal brass has no issues at all.
akuser47
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter

Post by akuser47 »

Well done, this is a simple tip that many can use. I had never thought about sharing this. I have all kinds of brushes I use to clean my press and equipment before and after each use.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

I've always done the same with but use a simple twist that provides about 1/2 case rotation.
Michael
Macd
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Macd »

For those that cast, LLA residue is the bane of straight seating. I have yet to find a sure method of preventing buildup in the bullet seater but it just isn't possible. Another issue is seating plugs that are too shallow or do not match bullet shapes for longer VLD or spitzer type bullets including those with long plastic tips. I have had to make custom plugs for my Lee .223 and .35 Remington dies for this reason. Lee will do this for you at a modest cost. https://leeprecision.com/custom-bullet- ... -plug.html

Return to “DIY Projects & Tips”