Supporter
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Caldwell Ballistic Precision Chronograph

Post by orerancher »

Anyone Have One?
Seen One?
Have an Opinion?
Have a Suggestion?

I'm gonna start Shoppin for a Chronograph....

Thanks
Ohio3Wheels
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Re: Caldwell Ballistic Precision Chronograph

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

I have an Oerler and a MagnetoSpeed sport model. I've had the Oerler since the 90s and it can be a pain on public ranges. I've had the Magneto since late winter and I like it. It does take some fiddling to get it to work with the lever guns and it's been fine with other styles. I added the cable that allows it to talk to my smart phone and or tablet. It lets you off load a string and email it in a CSV format.

Make smoke,
Curt.......makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time +guns +guns
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by Ranch Dog »

I have the Ballistic Precision and the Ballistic Precision G2, I think both are top chronographs. If you shoot a lot and use a smartphone, I would recommend the G2 as you gain the Bluetooth connection vs. the cable on the base Precision, an internal, rechargeable Lithium-Ion battery, and a built-in LED Light Kit.

If you go with the basic Precision, get the complete Kit so that you get the LED Light Kit which operates on 4 AA batteries or the included 110 power plug.

Hands down, both chronographs have been better than my F1, CDE, and Labradar. I always use the light bars and it misses a shot it is because I did not put it over the chronograph (or under in the case of the G2).
Michael
Macd
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Macd »

I have one and it works well. I find it more reliable than the ProChrono I originally used. After some initial teething issues with the cable connection to my tablet and phone I am able to use the Caldwell free recording app. The cable can be a headache especially at public ranges as people do not see it on the ground. A bit of orange caution tape helps. If I had the option at the time I would have spent the extra on the G2 Bluetooth enabled model.
EugeneNine

Post by EugeneNine »

I bought mine a few years ago and I don't think they had the Bluetooth yet. I can't get it to communicate with my current phone but it does seem to communicate with an Amazon fire tablet so I'll take it next trip.

GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by GasGuzzler »

I have THIS kit. I have never removed it from the packaging in the 3-4 years I've had it. I bought one on sale at Christmas time on sale for $69.99 (yes, the entire kit and before the G2 existed). When it arrived I learned how to use it and tested it inside with a Nerf dart gun. First real trip (back when I used to shoot from time to time) out it would not work. Called Larry's helpful people and they helped me realize the unit I had failed during production QC and was sent for repairs before sold. They sent an entire new kit no questions asked and no return of old parts required. When it arrived it went into the closet.

All that being said, it is the only kind I've had so I cannot compare but I can say the i-phone app is nice, the cable to my phone worked well, the set up isn't bad, and I would recommend it.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from goin' insane.
Macd
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Macd »

EugeneNine wrote:I bought mine a few years ago and I don't think they had the Bluetooth yet. I can't get it to communicate with my current phone but it does seem to communicate with an Amazon fire tablet so I'll take it next trip.
I have it working on an old I-Pad, my Galaxy A5 and my Galaxy A tablet. It wouldn't work on a HTC-1. I used USB cables to connect to an older Galaxy 10 tablet. Caldwell supplied the cables free. I am not sure if they still do this.
orerancher
Supporter
Supporter

Post by orerancher »

Thanks for the Replies Gentlemen!!
EugeneNine

Post by EugeneNine »

Macd wrote:
EugeneNine wrote:I bought mine a few years ago and I don't think they had the Bluetooth yet. I can't get it to communicate with my current phone but it does seem to communicate with an Amazon fire tablet so I'll take it next trip.
I have it working on an old I-Pad, my Galaxy A5 and my Galaxy A tablet. It wouldn't work on a HTC-1. I used USB cables to connect to an older Galaxy 10 tablet. Caldwell supplied the cables free. I am not sure if they still do this.
Mine won't communicate with a Samsung Galaxy S9 or an LG G6.
Macd
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Macd »

EugeneNine wrote:
Mine won't communicate with a Samsung Galaxy S9 or an LG G6.
Have you called Caldwell? They were good with me. The LG phone is listed as not compatible.

https://www.btibrands.com/product/balli ... ronograph/

Return to “The Shooting Range”