Just when you think you have it figured out...

Proofing your loaded ammuntion.
klr
250 Shots
250 Shots
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Just when you think you have it figured out...

Post by klr »

I tried some new loads this morning. The one on the left is a Winchester 94 with 170gr Hornady RN. I'm shooting at 95 yards and using a 2.5x scope. I don't know which shot is the one out of the group because I couldn't see them through the scope and I was too lazy to walk up and check or grab my spotting scope. :oops:

The group on the right is from my Enfield. It's a 174gr Hornady RN over 42gr of Varget. Last time out the same bullet with 41.5 grs of Varget shot into under an inch and didn't shot any sign of a moving poi from a cold barrel. This time the first shot hit where it was hitting the last time (top of the square) and then the next three went high and right. :x

So, should I take up knitting?

Ohio3Wheels
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Re: Just when you think you have it figured out...

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

Welcome to the black magic side of reloading. With the Enfield I'd go back to the first load that shot well. Curiosity would probably have me try a tenth grain or two either side, but I can't resist tinkering a bit now and then. Can't offer much on the 30/30.

Make smoke,
Curt.......makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time +guns +guns
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by Ranch Dog »

Enough to drive you crazy for sure. Given your location, how long has it been since they have been shot? Did you shoot any more?
Michael
klr
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by klr »

I shot these this morning. These were at the max listed charge of Varget so I had only loaded 4. I'd spent all morning shooting loads for my brother's 6.5 Grendel AR and these were the last two groups I shot.

The change in poi leads me to believe that something shifted, but obviously not enough shots for a valid conclusion.

Next up: Fresh brass, carefully prepped, return to last known good load (41 gr of Varget), and shoot a few more groups from a cold barrel.

BTW, this refers to the Enfield.

The 94 was a hot max load with a new powder. It's always had that "group some and flip one" problem.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

klr wrote:BTW, this refers to the Enfield.
Have you placed the little cork or felt pads between the stock bedding points? Macd has posted a picture of the points... here is how I configured both my stocks.

Still, haven't found his picture.

I also had a topic entitled "My SMLE is a MOA shooter"... something like that. First shot always worked out, but the others grouped elsewhere. The pads brought it all together on both my rifles. Almost got rid of them.
klr wrote:The 94 was a hot max load with a new powder. It's always had that "group some and flip one" problem.
When any of my M94s does that, it means to me that a screw tension has changed. Funny, but not one of the three likes screws tightened completely like my Marlins or Rossi's. Snug would be a better word for the M94s.
Michael
klr
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by klr »

Ranch Dog wrote:
klr wrote:BTW, this refers to the Enfield.
Have you placed the little cork or felt pads between the stock bedding points? Macd has posted a picture of the points... here is how I configured both my stocks.

I also had a topic entitled "My SMLE is a MOA shooter"... something like that. First shot always worked out, but the others grouped elsewhere. The pads brought it all together on both my rifles. Almost got rid of them.
klr wrote:The 94 was a hot max load with a new powder. It's always had that "group some and flip one" problem.
When any of my M94s does that, it means to me that a screw tension has changed. Funny, but not one of the three likes screws tightened completely like my Marlins or Rossi's. Snug would be a better word for the M94s.
Thanks for the advice. I have the Enfield bedded tightly with epoxy/wood flour mix. I'll pull it apart and try the cork. My son cork bedded his Mosin and it shoots great.

How thick is the cork?

I also have the 94 bedded and the screws cranked down hard. I'll try that too.
mr surveyor
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by mr surveyor »

could that have been a freshly cleaned bore?

After a barrel scrubbing I always take a couple of fouling shots, off target, before getting serious. It definitely makes life easier.

jd
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There's just some things best left unsaid on the internetsuperhighway.
klr
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by klr »

mr surveyor wrote:could that have been a freshly cleaned bore?

After a barrel scrubbing I always take a couple of fouling shots, off target, before getting serious. It definitely makes life easier.

jd
No, it wasn't. I can't take a few shots off target because I'll be using this rifle to cull deer. It needs to be on from the first shot and the next few follow up shots.

I pulled it apart tonight and removed all the epoxy bedding from the forearm. I'll slice some thin sheets of cork tomorrow and try bedding it.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

klr wrote:Thanks for the advice. I have the Enfield bedded tightly with epoxy/wood flour mix. I'll pull it apart and try the cork. My son cork bedded his Mosin and it shoots great.

How thick is the cork?
Sorry, a long day and night! Here is Macd's post: viewtopic.php?f=79&t=2224&p=22053#p22053
His rifle and the two I own are bedded as per the second picture.

I will need the measure the thickness. It is just some self-adhesive cork pad that I repurposed from another project. The pieces are very small.
Michael
mr surveyor
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by mr surveyor »

I wasn't suggesting anything out of the ordinary, I don't think. When I said "freshly cleaned bore", I meant the heavy duty scrubbing then adding a light coat of protective lube. It's been pretty well beaten into me over the years to not "over clean" a bore, rather knock out the "big chunks" frequently and leave that little bit of fouling that tends to normalize things more equally. About 90% of the time my rifle bores need no more than a dry bore snake pulled through and rarely have the need for those fouling shots to blow the protective lube out of the barrel. The bores get scrubbed either when it becomes visibly apparent there's some crud that needs to go, or accuracy goes South... then they're gonna get a couple of fouling shots and a bore snake before I'd consider them ready.

It was just a suggestion.

jd
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There's just some things best left unsaid on the internetsuperhighway.

Return to “The Shooting Range”