New bullet for my Mosins

Proofing your loaded ammuntion.
reloader762
My Press Choice: Turret

New bullet for my Mosins

Post by reloader762 »

Back around April I was able to order me a new mold for my Mosin rifles. I wanted a mold that would cast a heavy bullet in the 200+ gr. range have a decent meplat and fill the throats on some of my deep throated rifles an shoot accurately out to no more than 150 yds. which is really a stretch around here as most shots are under 100 yds. I also wanted it to cast large enough so it could be sized down a bit to fit multiple rifles.

A friend in another state had the mold made by Tom over at Accurate for his mosin as well and after some testing it proved to be just what I wanted so Tom cut me a two cavity in .315" dia. I cast up a bunch and have them sized,lube and checked. My brass is prepped and ready to load when the next opportunity presents itself hopefully in a couple weeks to shoot some test load using H4895. Below is a loaded rd. set just a bit off the leads an a bullet as cast.
Last edited by reloader762 on 22 Oct 2017 17:32, edited 2 times in total.
The Reloaders Network discord Channel
https://discord.gg/Nafuzht
daboone
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Re: New bullet for my Mosins

Post by daboone »

Please follow up with a report on how you like these bullets. I love my Mosins.
An ignorant person is one who doesn't know what you have just found out.

When setting a job up for myself it must be Idiot Proof as well, as I am a bigger idiot than most people I know, and I prove it to myself everyday.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by Ranch Dog »

Sweet looking!
Michael
akuser47
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter

Post by akuser47 »

Agreed, keep us posted. My Mosin is curious lol +corn
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
reloader762

Post by reloader762 »

akuser47 wrote:Agreed, keep us posted. My Mosin is curious lol +corn
Sorry it's been awhile since I've been on the forum but I have yet to fire a single load out of the Mosin rifles with the new bullet. I have some test rds. loaded up but I only have about two Saturdays a month that I can go over to my buddies house an shoot at his range an things pertaining to life an family have put a damper on that but hopefully I just may get over there this weekend. I sure hope so as I need some down time.
reloader762

Post by reloader762 »

Tried out a couple 5 shot test loads yesterday in the 1933 Tula 91/30 using my Accurate 215 gr. FP cast bullet I had Tom over at Accurate cut for me to fit my long throat Mosin. I shot two loads just for accuracy test using 33.0 and 34.0 grs. of H-4895 no chrono data till I get a load I like as I have more room to push this bullet before I run out of stability with the 1:10 twist. The 34.0 gr. load is a keeper regardless of where I end up.
Macd
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Macd »

Very good group. I don't shoot my Mosin very much but this tells me I should spend some time with it at the range.
reloader762

Post by reloader762 »

I enjoy shooing both of mine, I have a 1944 M44 and a 1933 M 91/30. Both have great bores and were in near mint condition when I purchased them, I was lucky to get them back in the day when they were dirt cheap and the quality of the rifles were much better.

My M44 shoots just as well as the 91/30 and although I have several tins of good surplus ammo stash back as well as some jacketed bullet loads developed for the M44 I just choose to shoot cast lead in them both. It's just much cheaper and less wear and tear on me and the rifles. Although I did find a really nice recoil pad a few years back that fits the Mosin stocks just perfectly. I got the Small, and they work great http://www.hivizsights.com/product/slip-on-recoil-pad/ you can find them cheaper on other sites.

As far as cast bullets I shoot a variety of bullets in both rifles the Lee .312" 160 gr. and 185 gr. gas check bullets both shoot really well in both rifles even with identical loads, but the Accurate bullet is only for the 91/30 because the throat in the M44 is too shallow but that's fine.
klr
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by klr »

reloader762 wrote:Tried out a couple 5 shot test loads yesterday in the 1933 Tula 91/30 using my Accurate 215 gr. FP cast bullet I had Tom over at Accurate cut for me to fit my long throat Mosin. I shot two loads just for accuracy test using 33.0 and 34.0 grs. of H-4895 no chrono data till I get a load I like as I have more room to push this bullet before I run out of stability with the 1:10 twist. The 34.0 gr. load is a keeper regardless of where I end up.
Wow, Nice shooting - especially with open sights. :t

That bullet/load is a keeper for sure. Any idea how fast it's going?
reloader762

Post by reloader762 »

Thanks, for around here open sights work great 100 yds. would be considered long range in most hunting applications usually it's much less than that. Most all my rifles have open sight except for my Sav. 99 in 300 Sav. as when I purchased it used with less than 100 rds. through it the original owner had removed the factory sights and misplaced them so it wears a scope. I also have a couple like my Hi Point 45 ACP carbine and SKS rifles that carry a red dot sight but they do have the original factory sights as well.

Return to “The Shooting Range”