Check out my rifles before hunting this year

Proofing your loaded ammuntion.
farmerjim
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

Check out my rifles before hunting this year

Post by farmerjim »

Last Friday was the last day of the early primitive weapons season. I had not gone out earlier because of bad weather or other commitments. So about 4 pm I had my 357Max single shot leaned up in the corner of the room. I grabbed 5 200 grain rounds and went for the door with my walker. The front right wheel hit the but of the gun, and down it went putting a dent on the front of the scope. Hunt canceled. So today I got out my 270 win and my 357Max and went to the back range. I put up 2 targets so that I only had to go check the targets once for 2 shots. I shot the 357Max first at the right target, Then the 270 at the left target. I could see the hole in the 270 target about 1 inch high and 1 in to the right. A second shot went in the same hole, so i adjusted the scope and the third shot went center bullseye. The 357Max only has a 4.5X max power scope but the 270W has a 3X9 and I can usually see holes bigger than 22cal, as long as they are not in the black bullseye. So I drove down to the target and nothing on the paper. I went to 25 yards and did not put it on paper. I went to 12 yards and just clipped the top side of the target. I adjusted 20 clicks down and 20 left and went back to 25 yards. It missed the paper but made a fresh hole in the board to the side I made another large adjustment went back to 25 yards and the hole was about a quarter of an inch from the other one. I am now out of 357 ammo. I will go out to hunt with the 270 in a couple of hours and check out the scope tomorrow. I am afraid the scope is gone but will remount it and give it another try with some 38 cal loads. they are cheaper and hit within an inch of the 357Max.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Re: Check out my rifles before hunting this year

Post by Ranch Dog »

Glad you checked and proof for other that a bump needs to be investigated!
Michael
farmerjim
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by farmerjim »

The 270 was dead on and got me a deer yesterday afternoon. 100 yard shot right in the heart.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by Ranch Dog »

Very nice!
Michael
mr surveyor
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Post by mr surveyor »

I love to hear success stories

js
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There's just some things best left unsaid on the internetsuperhighway.

Return to “The Shooting Range”