Sitka Blacktail with Lee

Whether plinking or chasing big game, tell us about your day outdoors!
AlaskanGuy
Founding Member & Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

Sitka Blacktail with Lee

Post by AlaskanGuy »

Hi Guys...

We got small Sitka Blacktails here.. and they are ruttin. they are island deer pretty much and the smallest deer I figure in all of North America. but what they lack in size, they make up in Yummmm.

i was out slow hiking an old logging road lookin for opportunities and spotted this mature old guy behind some brush.. i bleated with my fawn call a couple times and he stepped right out. forgot and had my variable 4x by 12x scope on 12 power and couldn't find him in the crosshairs. I dialed it back to 4 and acquired the buck which was starting to trot off and busted him with the lee 309-170f which actually runs in the upper 160's with my gear. 11.5 grains of Red Dot puts the bullet around 1500fps. the deer felt that flat point hit the boiler room, he trotted off abut 35 yards and fell over . he even fell in the road bed for me..

Our island deer are very compact and boxy, stubby headed things with very brown small antlers.

because of the dense brush and island rainforest, they have adapted to be small but very sturdy and stealthy. Black bears and wolves are the number one and 2 predator's on the island, and they take many. this is number 4 for me so far, and a very important food for us islanders as there are no moose around here. every member of the house can take 5 deer and the population is pretty good as long as the bears and wolves are kept in check.

he was a good size for the deer around here, and is hanging nicely in my workshop.

AG
Last edited by AlaskanGuy on 16 Nov 2020 22:20, edited 1 time in total.
Any technology, not understood, can seem like magic....
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Re: Sitka Blacktail with Lee

Post by Ranch Dog »

Great hunting story, thank you!
Michael
KarlieBoe
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Post by KarlieBoe »

How much does a Sitka deer weigh? 130? I'm sure it depends on gender.

At any rate, that's a lot of meat for a price tag that is much less than what you would get at the grocery store. It's also a nice break from the work/shop cycle that most people are stuck in.

Thanks for sharing, it was an enjoyable read.
AlaskanGuy
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by AlaskanGuy »

wow... thanks Karlie.. welcome to the forum!!!!

they go about 120-130 on the hoof when its raining... i live a subsistence lifestyle on Prince of wales island just about 600-700 miles north of you... no stores where I live, but lots of deer and black bears running around for some Fast Food!!!
Any technology, not understood, can seem like magic....

Return to “Field/Hunting Stories”