Hi-Point 4595 vs. Hog

Whether plinking or chasing big game, tell us about your day outdoors!
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Hi-Point 4595 vs. Hog

Post by Ranch Dog »

A weird thing happened. While I'm feeding my dog this morning, three house does are behind the lake and they are blowing up a storm, looking in the brush and looking back at me. Now, they are our buddies so my hound dog and I go ahead and walk out there. They were looking down the spillway so I start down an old roadbed. Don't go very far and durn if there isn't a hog sleeping just off in the brush. Now my hound is a blood trail hound and doesn't want anything to do with anything living. He leaves a dust trail running back to the house. The small sow is watching the knucklehead leave and doesn't see me. I'm thinking how do I get back to the house and get a gun? Right about then, the irrigation system turns on for its daily fill of the lake. The water blows about 50' in the air and comes down in the middle, about 60 gallons a minute. Perfect. I ease out.

I decided to use the Hi-Point, but only have one round of loaded ammo left. I guess I better make it count. I ease back in and the hog has moved a few yards but is sound asleep. I shot her through her eye at 45-yards. She never woke up.

I'm shooting the NOE TL452-234-HP BB, a bullet based on one of my designs. I powder coat them and load them with the Load-Master.

I'm not a fan of HP-38 as I like a greater case fill, but I have 8 lbs of the stuff and don't use it with anything. I will be moving some other pistol cartridges to it this year as I would like to consume it out of my inventory. Velocity is 1025 FPS.

Michael
mr surveyor
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Re: Hi-Point 4595 vs. Hog

Post by mr surveyor »

RD

Is that stated velocity of 1025 fps out of a hand gun or from Hi Point longer barrel?

jd
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There's just some things best left unsaid on the internetsuperhighway.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

mr surveyor wrote:RD

Is that stated velocity of 1025 fps out of a hand gun or from Hi Point longer barrel?
Chrony'd out of the 4595's 17½" barrel. I shoot the same design, the original design at .457" with a flat nose out of my Taurus 745 (very similar with the Glock G36). That bullet weight 20-grains more with the extra diameter and not having the hollow point cavity. The 745 has a 3¼" barrel and I see 750 FPS with a max load of Unique. The max load of HP38 delivered 695 FPS, but I'm not willing to sacrifice 55 FPS with my self defense pistol.

So, the recorded range for the bullet with HP38: 3¼" barrel is 695 FPS and 1050 FPS with the 17½" Barrel. That's 25 FPS per inch, which has been my experience with most pistol cartridges vs. barrel length.
Michael
mr surveyor
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Post by mr surveyor »

Thanks.

I've only bought one pound of HP38 in my 9+ year reloading tenure, and still have most of that left. I found it to be o.k. in what few 38 spl loads I put together, but for my purposes Unique or AA#5 worked much better. I can't remember loading any .45 auto with HP38 since I was formerly hooked on AA#5 … and now on AA#2.

I'll probably use it for something, some day.

jd
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There's just some things best left unsaid on the internetsuperhighway.
9x80Drilling
My Press Choice: Lee Loader

Post by 9x80Drilling »

Brilliant work on that sow, Michael.
I've had to back out of a close encounter on occasion through my 60 years of hunting, usually to get ammo, a gun, a bow, or something else. The adrenaline can flow at times like that!
Did your hound accompany you on your trip back out for the kill?
My Australian shepherds will back away from something they deem too tough to tackle, but they always come to my side, then get plenty brave as long as they think I'm there with them in the fray.
I once shot a mountain lion at 14 yards while I was sitting on our porch. My Aussie led me the 40 or so yards to the dead cat, but insisted in staying within the 20 foot flashlight beam. I've laughed and laughed at that caution many times since then. That's SOME survival instinct.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

9x80Drilling wrote:Did your hound accompany you on your trip back out for the kill?
No, in his haste to retreat, he must he buggered up his right rear foot or leg. His leg is stiff as a board this morning, I'm going to need to take him to the vet.
Michael
larryw
Founding Member & Supporter
Founding Member & Supporter
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by larryw »

Evening Michael, hows that pup doing, what was wrong?
Hope all is well.
A day late & A dollar short? Story of my life +guns
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Thanks for asking Larry. When I got back home yesterday after my patrol, his right rear leg was swollen to twice the other. I called the Vet and took him in. He sprang his hock. Not a lot they can do for it other than to try to confine his movement and a course of Vetprofen. He must not have stuck one of his landings out of the truck or the Mule. [hr]So last night, when this happened, I went out and recovered it, brought it up to the house so he could enjoy it, loaded him up on the Mule (75 lbs), and we took it out together to get rid of it.

Michael
az2vet
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by az2vet »

Good to hear your buddy is not hurt to bad. Hope for a quick recovery.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Thank you! The tough part is keeping him confined to the yards.
Michael

Return to “Field/Hunting Stories”