Last Meat Deer of the year, Hopefully

Whether plinking or chasing big game, tell us about your day outdoors!
AlaskanGuy
Founding Member & Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

Last Meat Deer of the year, Hopefully

Post by AlaskanGuy »

Cat and Mouse game through some real thick stuff but she is down. i cant begin to tell you how valuable a good hunting dog is... probably wouldnt have recovered this deer without her. Shot was perfect, a double lung presented and was nailed with complete pass through. heart and liver still useable, deer went around 100 yards through the tangled mess, with the usual 0 blood trail that I could follow, but My missy dog found her. the gun was my 1949 Marlin 336 32 win special shooting 165g cast over case full of homegrown BP... this combo has taken bears and my deer this season. i really like the original Post redicle scope in the dark forest, and the gun just loves that load combo. it is also very handy that the gun is short.. it carrys very well in the thickness of our rain forest.

here are a couple short videos of my Duck Setups area

[BBvideo 560,340][/BBvideo]

[BBvideo 560,340][/BBvideo]

have a blessed day.. I am.. freezers are full..

AG
Any technology, not understood, can seem like magic....
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Re: Last Meat Deer of the year, Hopefully

Post by Ranch Dog »

Outstanding! Yes Sir, nothing like a good dog to work the trail! I sure like reading the details; gun, bullet, shot, etc. Thank you!
Michael
AlaskanGuy
My Press Choice: Turret

Re: Last Meat Deer of the year, Hopefully

Post by AlaskanGuy »

yea I gotta tell you, I would estimate that 50% of deer that travel 100 yards or more after shot are never recovered... it is just that thick... they crawl into a death hole and are invisible unless your are absolutly within 1 yard away.. like ghosts.. but they cant fool my Missy's nose.. at 3 years old, the constant training is completely paying off.. she swims like a lab and hits the water at a leap, and at about 40lbs, doesnt eat me outta house and home. a good dog is determined by commited training, not necessarily by pedigree.. I once had a wolf Hybred that I trained for ducks decades ago... my duck buddies turned thier noses up at him at first, till the first time he hit the water off a 15ft ledge.. kinda used to worry me as well.. its all about heart.
Any technology, not understood, can seem like magic....

Return to “Field/Hunting Stories”