Skunked Whitetail Hunt

Whether plinking or chasing big game, tell us about your day outdoors!
Macd
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Skunked Whitetail Hunt

Post by Macd »

Just got back from a week long hunt with my son in Ontario. We had two locations picked out with permission from the landowners. One was a nice piece of bottom land that is usually near dry this time of year. Unfortunately it rained heavily before the season opened and everything was flooded. The river in front of the house where we stayed was up about 3 feet. The second location was open fields with wood lots bordered on one side by an operating sand and gravel pit and the other by cattle pasture. It had good sign especially near some old apple trees. The first morning we jumped a big doe. We were only 25-30 feet from her when she came out of her bed in some tall grass. With buck only licenses we could just watch her disappear down the road and into a woodlot. Temperatures were a bit nippy with a cold wind blowing most of the time. There were Canada Geese aplenty but we decided to stick to our deer hunt. We saw the doe once more during the week but that was it. Talking to some of the guys who hunt the area we discovered we were not the only ones who were shutout. Son was a bit put out but I enjoyed the visit with him and an old navy buddy. Drank a bit too much wine, beer, 151 proof rum and single malt as well as ate things my doctor and wife prefer I avoid. Next fall he is coming this way for a moose hunt. I will be on familiar ground so chances are much better he will fill his tag.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Re: Skunked Whitetail Hunt

Post by Ranch Dog »

It sounds like a good time to me!
Michael

Return to “Field/Hunting Stories”