Boar with Savage 10FCM

Whether plinking or chasing big game, tell us about your day outdoors!
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Boar with Savage 10FCM

Post by Ranch Dog »

It sure has been quiet on the forum. Honestly, I haven't been doing any reloading because of the heat. Sounds funny in that I have an air-conditioned reloading room, but I've gotten to the point where I have ammunition stacked all over the place, most of it waiting for evaluation, velocity testing, sighting in, etc. I cannot load any additional less I lose track of what I'm doing. With the heat pushing 100º every day, early through late, and no wind, my range is miserable.

The hogs have been very thin this year. We have only had 11" of rain, about a third of what should have fallen at this point, and the hogs tend to follow the receding water. I'm in the "uplands" above the river, and it is scorched out there. I'm glad I've put in the wildlife waters, I have a crazy amount of whitetails running around, but the hogs need mud.

I did have a large boar show up on my food plot the house. I knew it was a good one as a found an uprooted five-gallon buck that was seated over a buried valve. He was trying to get to any water he could find. All it took was one night to watch and a little bit of corn. I shot him with my Savage 10FCM using a Speer 150 HCSP.

This load has been waiting for velocity testing and should not be duplicated as it is approximately 7,000 PSI above the SAAMI pressure limit for the 7.62x39!

The Savage 10 FCM is a strong bolt action rifle that is chambered in the 7mm-08 Rem and 308 Win as well. I have the later and want to see what the 7.62x39 with the rifle and bullet can do. I believe that the 20" barrel is sending the 150-grain bullet downrange at 2350 FPS.
Michael
W.R.Buchanan
My Press Choice: Lee Loader

Re: Boar with Savage 10FCM

Post by W.R.Buchanan »

Nothing Personal Michael: Just have been mostly working on the Jeep and letting the guns slide.

I did shoot a 3 gun on the 1st of Sept. and the only thing that went right was the shotgun stage so I have been trying to get my new Rugger PCC in .40 S&W to run right. Needs another 3-400 rounds to break it in and it will be fine.

I saw Cuero TX in the news the other day and heard you guys had been getting rained on, are you alright and dry?

So I'll get back soon with some more slug testing and info.

Nice Pig,,, You guys must eat pretty good?

Randy
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

W.R.Buchanan wrote:I saw Cuero TX in the news the other day and heard you guys had been getting rained on, are you alright and dry?
I don't think it was us. We are about 20" behind in rainfall.
Michael
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

W.R.Buchanan wrote:So I'll get back soon with some more slug testing and info.
Randy, my slug stuff going to slow down, I didn't get drawn for any of the "slug only" hunts. I will get what I have across the chrony, then I have a lot of rifle work to catch up on.
Michael

Return to “Field/Hunting Stories”