Food Plot Time

Whether plinking or chasing big game, tell us about your day outdoors!
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Food Plot Time

Post by Ranch Dog »

Back at the semi-annual ritual, seeding food plots. It has been very warm down here in South Texas, so I've put the work off. I don't depend on the plots for hunting but rather want the work to make the long stretch into the spring green up. Also, have been delaying down to the minimum before the next rain as we have been getting a lot of rain and needed the plots to dry out as much as possible.

With other commitments going on all day Tuesday, I started at 8 pm and finished at Midnight. The Landpride seeder I bought 2017 sure makes the job easier as I put out two different seeds at different rates at the same time. It operates best at about five mph, so that allows you to cover ground quickly. I seeded 7 acres of plots. The latest front came through Wednesday night so all should be good!

Michael
Macd
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Re: Food Plot Time

Post by Macd »

Gotta ask, so when do you sleep? Most city folk have no idea what size an acre represents never mind 7 of them. Nice rig BTW.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Re: Food Plot Time

Post by Ranch Dog »

Macd wrote:Gotta ask, so when do you sleep?
Every free moment I have. I can actually sleep on demand as well as wake up at a set time without an alarm.
Macd wrote:Most city folk have no idea what size an acre represents never mind 7 of them. Nice rig BTW.
For perspective, a typical city block is 2.35 acres and a US football field 1.1 acres.

Most of my rectangular plots are the size of a football field. The shorter in length the rectangle is, the more tractor time it requires because of the turn time at each row. My favorites are those along seismic lines. I like them three rows wide (19 1/2') x 900' long. That gets me down, back, and down again, where I can continue to the next one 300' yards distance down the line and so on. At 5 MPH, those are real quick. Deer like them better than the large rectangles, squares, or circles; 10' one of two ways and they are back in the brush.
Michael

Return to “Field/Hunting Stories”