Hog Hunter Dies

Whether plinking or chasing big game, tell us about your day outdoors!
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Hog Hunter Dies

Post by Ranch Dog »

RB, is this the place that you hunted?

[attachment=0]20181030_125511_crop_496x781.jpg[/attachment]
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Michael
daboone
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Re: Hog Hunter Dies

Post by daboone »

Basis safety rules were replaced by lazy convenience rules. :evil:
An ignorant person is one who doesn't know what you have just found out.

When setting a job up for myself it must be Idiot Proof as well, as I am a bigger idiot than most people I know, and I prove it to myself everyday.
Macd
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Macd »

daboone wrote:Basis safety rules were replaced by lazy convenience rules. :evil:
Thought the same thing. :cry:
GRV01
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Post by GRV01 »

I think i read it best from somewhere as 'the million times you do something could work out fine, but the million and one could kill you'

Complacency Kills
No thin chicks
Currently reloading .357 Magnum and .38 Special
RBHarter
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by RBHarter »

I think it is . They have been working on 2 extensions , this might one of them . The original ranch 564 acres I think .....could be a typo .

I don't know that I've hunted all of the stands , but there's only 1 tower stand and maybe 2 -3 raised platforms . I don't know how with any reasonable level of caution a guy could get into a place like that .

Their rules are pretty rigid . Any significant slop and they will have off the ranch in short order . Every Hunter has to have a Texas license or 3-5 permit to enter the field , which means a hunters safety class if born after 1/1/1970 ( or Military Service , although I haven't seen this in print I know that 3 days have been sold on this ) .

Real tragedy to be sure . They also hunt in buddy pairs , so odds are pretty good that the involved parties were past hunting buddies or at least friends , maybe family . Of course that leaves the possibility of of a deliberate act on the table too ......

None of us are perfect . I know I do things alone in the field that I don't do with companions .
But they are the kind of things that just keep you in arm's length of the tools .

I'm thinking on this and there's really only one stand , a 2 man tower box stand , where this could have happened the floor is about 12' off the ground with a pretty narrow door and 6' ceiling you just about have to pass or receive the rifles from the ladder guy to get into and out of it . I guess that stand will have to go .
Just a Red neck,White boy, Blue blood American.....
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by Ranch Dog »

I think it was two family members. It is a real shame for the operator and that has been one thing that has said about them; they are hardcore on rules, briefings before the hunt, and education if they feel it is needed.
Michael

Return to “Field/Hunting Stories”