STI Saboted Hammerhead vs. Hog

Whether plinking or chasing big game, tell us about your day outdoors!
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

STI Saboted Hammerhead vs. Hog

Post by Ranch Dog »

This fellow has been coming by my one of my protein feeders on an every other night interval.

[BBvideo 560,340][/BBvideo]

I set up for him by putting a Boar Light near the feeder. I wasn't sure exactly how he was getting to the feeder, but got very lucky. He walked past me off to the left about 15-yards, moving very slowly last night. To rotate to shoot him would have been a mistake, he was moving toward the feeder which sits where a finger of brush blends into native grasses. I started searching the edge of the brush in the moonlight with field glasses, and picked him up, walking along the side of the grass. Brought the 512 up, he was easy to see in the moonlight against the blond colored native grass. He was heading to the feeder, but that is 125-yards from where I was sitting, and a 50-yard shot sure seemed better. The shot was in ambient moonlight, no lights, with just the Weaver low power scope.

Of course, at the shot, it takes a bit to recover your night vision. As that happened, I moved forward through the grass, a bit tense because of the rattlesnakes, at a 10-yards, he stood up and moved away from me slowly. I looked like he went down again, but I just left him until this morning.

Shot placement was poor, that is one problem with night hunting. At the shot, I remember thinking he wasn't as big as he looked when he was off to the side. He wasn't as big in the night's two-dimensional view (height and width without depth) because he had turned, quartering to me. I shot him ahead of the near side shoulder, and Hammerhead enter, shattering the opposite side leg, leaving a huge wound channel. The Hammerhead stayed inside, couldn't find it, but it buggered him up. Typical to a hog shot low, there is not much to go on.

I should have waited longer, but it was in the '90s and I was tired. Had I not got him up, he might have died there. My hound found him 450-yards from where I shot him. My dog has learned to work on blood and the scent of blood, too many critters out here to work on body odor. He found very light blood where it had been laying, made sure I looked at it, and then started slowly out the trail. There was never any more visible blood that he could show me. Thank you, Laurel! I love this hound!

Michael
Ohio3Wheels
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Re: STI Saboted Hammerhead vs. Hog

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

One less porcine marauder and a great hound. Well done both of you.

Make smoke,
Curt.......makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time +guns +guns
AlaskanGuy
Founding Member & Supporter
Founding Member & Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by AlaskanGuy »

really nice work on the slugs and the Hog!!

i have noticed that Blue Dot seems to like slugs a lot better the closer you get to 40 grains. i have seen this with several different slugs.. but for me, Not a fun shooter. i must be getting old!

AG
Any technology, not understood, can seem like magic....
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by Ranch Dog »

I would think a guy in Alaskan would be a bit tougher!

Honestly, I've got to be a bit more careful with the shooting as the recoil did affect the retina of one eye. I keep a Lead Sled at the range, I need to use it and will with any future load work.
Michael
Macd
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by Macd »

Ever tried a Limbsaver or other recoil pad? I have two single shots, a 16 and a 12 that kick like mules. I have been looking at pads but it has been a long time since I used one and don't remember how well they worked. I use the Lead Sled a lot with two 20 lbs iron weights which fit perfectly on the weight tray. The sled with a few sponge spacers and elastic straps holds a rifle tight for sighting in and losd development..

Return to “Field/Hunting Stories”