Lee Loadall & Lee LoadallII

Discussions covering the components and techniques of reloading for your scattergun; be it buckshot, shot, or slugs.
number1wrench
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Lee Loadall & Lee LoadallII

Post by number1wrench »

Wow I can't believe the scant use on this thread. These are great cost effective loaders. Plethora of Youtube info, careful you can't believe all that's filmed or said, good for the most part. As with any reloading read, read, read, follow sensible procedures and wahla great loads to do what you want them to! I have loaded shot shells with these tools for years with success. Where my first shot reloaders so I learned the importance of shot height and crimp performance. With all the home defense hoopla there should be some questions and discussion. I'm finding one of the biggest deterrents is a lack of inexpensive opportunity to break clays on legally access able land even here in SD. I hope I'm on the right spot to invite more shot shell discussion. What are some of the favored shell manufacturers for a start.
akuser47
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter

Re: Lee Loadall & Lee LoadallII

Post by akuser47 »

I plan to use a really old shotgun press it looks like a mec. I just inherited. Needs cleaned and worked on hasn't seen use in 30 years. If it is not serviceable then I shall someday buy a lee loadall myself. +guns
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
number1wrench

Post by number1wrench »

If you check MEC website they have instruction downloads almost to there beginning with part illustration and numbers. Also some part breakdowns for obsolete presses with most parts still available. If your missing parts it may be easier to get a Lee Loadall II. MidwayUSA and Ballistic Products both have new available. I realize trap loads are inexpensive, if that's all you are shooting the only advantage to reloading is to roll your own for specific use. As a hunter or for home defense loads you can really expand versatility. You will get great enjoyment from shotshell reloading, it's less expense if you are already into metallic. Hope you have good fortune handloading.
RBHarter
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by RBHarter »

The only thing I didn't like about the load all was the sizer. My having grown up on MEC and Pacific may have influenced that dislike some also . In reflection ,I had 2 or 3 of them, the sizer may have worked out better with the high brass cases like the green Remingtons or Cheddite cases . The MEC wasn't all roses either if you plan on doing lots of the high brass like the Remingtons you will need a longer 1/4 -20 grade 5 bolt for the sizer/decapper pin because the factory supplied bolt isn't long enough to clear the die with the brass by about 2 threads. Lubing the brass helps but not enough.
I had to size every case every time , my O/U may as well have been 2 guns from opposite poles and the Ted Williams, BPS,Win 1300 and 1100 Rem just wouldn't talk to each other either.
Just a Red neck,White boy, Blue blood American.....
number1wrench

Post by number1wrench »

The MEC wasn't all roses either if you plan on doing lots of the high brass like the Remingtons you will need a longer 1/4 -20 grade 5 bolt for the sizer/decapper pin because the factory supplied bolt isn't long enough to clear the die with the brass by about 2 threads. Lubing the brass helps but not enough. Re. RBHarter The older Mec models had two sizer/decapper rod bolts available. I guess I never had any problems with what I was reloading on an old 600model. The newer Mec's have a collet sizer except 650Jr. model. I usually reloaded Win. AA old style or Federal Gold Metal or equivalent. As you say the Mec can have it's quirks. The bashers will tell you if it's not "Blue" it's junk; what I drive isn't worth as much in dollars as "Blue". Having never used one I can not praise or condemn; I do know they are quality built, unless you were loading for a gun club I find it hard to justify. This thread is about Lee; I can testify they will load lots of ammo economically and with good quality when done correctly. Your note was good as akuser47's question comment was about Mec. If I were to load for the shotguns you indicate I would buy/scrounge different brand hulls for comparison of function. you may have to use different hulls for individual shotguns. I have no affiliation with any hull manufacturer I have had good results recently with RIO I have an affinity to Federal GM, they are getting more costly. Ballistic Products http://www.ballisticproducts.com/bpi/ar ... eneral.htm good article on hulls and on there website there is a chart for hull dimension and capacity in catalog.
RBHarter
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by RBHarter »

I'm a fan of Fiocchi cases ,which I originally used from BPI. I have a 12ga Pacific also. 12 and 16 ga 600s and a 20 ga size master with micrometer bars .

The Lee Loaders do have an idiot proof finish crimp. It was hard to keep the cases straight I hunted with 2-3 kids in a duck blind for 8yr.
number1wrench

Post by number1wrench »

I have used Fiocchi cases, seems the ammo is easier to come by in the last waterfowl season. For a while BPI was out of what I wanted, used Cheddite instead. If price is right I don't mind using loaded factory ammo for simple tasks, prefer to buy brand with hulls I want. Fantastic to hear you have helped bring a new generation of hunter/ shooter into the arena. As seniors to the sport we need to help assure they have a place to shoot and hunt in the future. Do you prefer the features of the Pacific over the Sizemaster? I have no real experience around Pacific, they look to be very well built.
RBHarter
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by RBHarter »

My Pacific is of about 1967 vintage. It has the same sizing die reach issue as the 600 series MEC . I'd like to have a 12ga size master but the prices have kept me away,even from the separate sizer tool......... says the guy that just spent $230 on Colts brass and moulds...... I guess for me it's buying a tool that costs that much that is so single function.

The kids are grown now and have kids of their own and are all but spread to the 4 corners of the country . I have 2 grand daughters to work into hunting with me so I still have some work close at hand to do . My oldest daughter ,28 last week ,wants to go on the hog hunt this year with me and her sister is the Euro mount master in spite of not caring to hunt she enjoys the butchering and preserving. Both girls have the fire ,the boys not so much . The oldest knows it as a needed tool and the youngest , 30 months in Iraqastan is explanation enough for me. The grands seem to have taken to it but at 5 and 7 arent ready for the big league.
number1wrench

Post by number1wrench »

RBHarter wrote:My Pacific is of about 1967 vintage. It has the same sizing die reach issue as the 600 series MEC . I'd like to have a 12ga size master but the prices have kept me away,even from the separate sizer tool......... says the guy that just spent $230 on Colts brass and moulds...... I guess for me it's buying a tool that costs that much that is so single function.
The kids are grown now and have kids of their own and are all but spread to the 4 corners of the country . I have 2 grand daughters to work into hunting with me so I still have some work close at hand to do . My oldest daughter ,28 last week ,wants to go on the hog hunt this year with me and her sister is the Euro mount master in spite of not caring to hunt she enjoys the butchering and preserving. Both girls have the fire ,the boys not so much . The oldest knows it as a needed tool and the youngest , 30 months in Iraqastan is explanation enough for me. The grands seem to have taken to it but at 5 and 7 arent ready for the big league.
Thanks for the Pacific input, I have always assumed they were on a par with Mec. I have too much Lee and Mec to seriously consider anything else right now. Put on your wish list. Mid South has 12ga Sizemaster for $244 regular, haven't done any business with them but that's at least $30 less than I've found new elsewhere. Internet bid sites are usually list price no savings there on presses anyway, don't look there much myself.
My son and daughter live 1K mi. apart, I'm widowed and am between a lot, I now reside in Tn. with daughter most. 7 grandkids, 6 shoot, hunt, 7 great grandkids 6 shoot youngest 1 only 9mo. old so not yet. Youngest great grandson turned 5 last Oct., his grandpa, my son made sure he had his Cricket. My son keeps his grandkids armed, has given to a couple of his nieces and nephews. If your like me the wish list grows fater than the fulfillment thereof.

Return to “Shotgun Reloading”