410 Reloading

Discussions covering the components and techniques of reloading for your scattergun; be it buckshot, shot, or slugs.
Ohio3Wheels
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Hand Press

410 Reloading

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

Did Lee ever offer a loader for the 410 Bore? If not does anyone know of a choice less expensive than a 600Jr from MEC?

Thanks and yes I may be just a bit crazy. :lol:

Make smoke,
Curt.......makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time +guns +guns
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Re: 410 Reloading

Post by Ranch Dog »

Lee did offer 410 Loaders for both the 2½" and 3" hulls. When they do appear on eBay, they will cost you half of what a MEC will. The is a fellow on eBay selling a MagPAD loader. I've thought about buying one a number of times and probably would have had they had a "Buy Now" option.
Michael
jdl447
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by jdl447 »

I bought the aluminum kit from https://lane371.dotster.com/410.html. It’s useable with the correct stack height.
RBHarter
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by RBHarter »

Straying from the question a bit .
I loaded some very short 410s , Ruger BlackHawk cylinder length actually , I was able to form a start and seat it with a modified SWC/WC seater pin . I've formed a few brass cases from 303 brass but was recently directed to 9.3×74 rimmed . Of course that calls for glue in over shot cards . Sizing is a nil point with the brass cases , a heavy roll crimp will allow a over shot card tuck that can be water glass/egg sealed or waxed to hold in place for handling and field use . Pistol primers and even rifle primers are easier to work in a metallic cartridge press than shotgun primers .

I don't recall whom but there was/is a maker of standard 7/8-14 dies for 410 . I haven't tried the 410 with the 460 dies but they work fine for the 45/410 .

Disjointed a little . The 9.3 brass is 2.94 in so it might need to be trimmed slightly for a 2.5 chamber but be much closer for a 3" chamber . The shotgun chamber is cut the full length of the open case so as long as the 3" data doesn't exceed the 2.5 pressures you would be able to get a 3" load in a 2.5" gun "expanding" the usefulness of the gun or allowing you to cheat on the trap range fairly .
Just a Red neck,White boy, Blue blood American.....
Ohio3Wheels
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

My reason for asking is I recently acquired two 410s. A Mossburg 510 and an ar15 upper. Took the AR to the range today, indoor so slugs only. It's a ball and the looks from other shooters when you fire your AR and a 410 hull lands on the floor.

Mostly interested in loading slugs. I took a look at BPI and they offer a kit with new cases and their "Thug" slug. Wouldn't need to size the hull, only possible fiddly part would be getting the stack right and then the crimp. Alternately I's wouldn't mind finding a sabot and a jacked soft point like Hornady puts in their critical defense ammo.

Keeps the mind occupied and busy and it's just plain fun.

Make smoke,
Curt.......makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time +guns +guns
RBHarter
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by RBHarter »

Probably not helpful .
IMG_20190208_142344_01.jpg
That's a 45 cal Maxi-ball cast in WW 280 gr I think . I loaded it over 8 gr of Unique I think in a 303 case at 2.1" basically treated like a 45 Colts . If the AR is conventionally rifled for the slugs that might be a lot of fun . No need really for sabots if it is rifled with equal or greater groove to land you could just load conventional cast bullets and hot Colts data or 45-70 Trapdoor levels for similar weights . Start low work up on paper over the chrono looking for clean function and groups .
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ohio3Wheels
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

Thanks, it's actually a smooth bore. Not sure where this going to go but figure it'll fun and a trifle frustrating,

Make smoke,
RBHarter
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by RBHarter »

They do this little trick with paintball guns called hop up . In over simplified terms they impart a spin on the top of the .690 ball to effectively flatten the flight . Soooooo many possibilities with a screw on flash hider .
Ohio3Wheels
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

Went out on a little armed recce yesterday (squirrel hunting and deer scouting). Discovered that all 2.5" 410s are not created equal. Wincester AA HS are too long for the AR410 magazine and from the feel when I cleared the gun too long for the chamber. Live and learn

Make smoke,
RBHarter
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by RBHarter »

Weird . Unfired should have lots of room in the chamber .
I hadn't thought about length being so much different from roll to fold crimp or brand to brand .

Return to “Shotgun Reloading”