I guess I'm not a quitter ~ Lee Slugs

Discussions covering the components and techniques of reloading for your scattergun; be it buckshot, shot, or slugs.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Re: I guess I'm not a quitter ~ Lee Slugs

Post by Ranch Dog »

I'm working on it. Ranch work is coming on strong, but after a heavy thunderstorm, that will let up for a few days. I'm flying my patrol today along with work for the USDA; I'm hoping shooting Friday morning.

Here is the best explanation of what will be first up for the WF 170. I had a once-fired hull split.

The hull split because I actually picked up a .125" 12G Nitro Card instead of the Mini (.070"). The final crimp split the hull, too much in the stack.

With the slug guns, I'm looking for 3 MOA with 5-shots. That's what I need to hunt with them. The expectation is 50 yards for the smoothbore and 100-yards with the rifled barrel.

Last edited by Ranch Dog on 05 Aug 2019 05:33, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: image updated with BPI product numbers
Michael
AlaskanGuy
Founding Member & Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by AlaskanGuy »

very cool RD..

have you thought about Steel as a powder? done any experimenting with it for those light slugs?

I just bought 8 lbs and paid about 200 bucks to have it shipped via boat here on top of what I paid for the powder.. i am having high hopes for it.

AG
Any technology, not understood, can seem like magic....
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

AlaskanGuy wrote:have you thought about Steel as a powder? done any experimenting with it for those light slugs?
I haven't thought about it too much as, like you, I have to ship everything in. I traded all my Trail Boss for a number of powders, Blue Dot was in that trade.
Michael
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

25 and 50-yard shooting today!
I shot three at 25-yards, adjusted the Williams rear sight to move the POI left and down, one index marking each (wasn't sure what reference the indexes represent), and shot three more slugs at 50-yards.

Yeap, there are six holes in that target!

The Lee 1oz slug in the BPI 078 Lightning's shot cup, the pressure column is cut off, is a super fit at the muzzle.

I'm truly amazed! I doubt my rifled barrels could put six slugs into a similar size group with their best slugs; The group did not expand with the 50-yard shooting, that means the MOA shrunk!

99% of my hog killing is at night at feeders under hog lights. The distances are 50 to 100-yards, so I see this as doable, but not with the open sights. So, I came in from my range and started googling if anyone had added a scope to the Slugster. Sure enough, I found a topic on a shotgun forum from back in 2012 where a fellow was so pleased with his WF 170 that he added Weaver #55 bases forward and aft of the ejection port. These same bases fit the Mossberg 695, the next and last generation of bolt slug gun Mossberg manufactured. It had a ported rifle barrel.

I had a 695, but could not get past the trigger, and this seems to be the same. All the reading I did about it says not to get into it, get used to it. Same as the Mossberg 800 series of centerfire rifles (had two of those as well). Given the accuracy of my Slugster from the start, I will get used to the trigger.

So as I shopped for bases, I thought it would be nice if I still had the 695 for a patter of exactly how the scope bases are position. $200 later, a like-new 695 with weaver bases, rings, and scope are on the way here. Sending large projectiles downrange is addicting.

What is interesting is that there is nothing found downrange other than the white felt 20G ¼" wads about 8 to 10 yards from the barrel. I haven't seen anything else. Given the consistency of the felt wads in the same spot must mean that the shot cup must departing immediately, I'm good with that given the target performance.
Michael
larryw
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by larryw »

Sweet, nice work Michael, very nice.
A day late & A dollar short? Story of my life +guns
Macd
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Macd »

Wonderful when it all comes together. Was a very interesting journey to follow even if I do not use slugs.
AlaskanGuy

Post by AlaskanGuy »

holy moley you got er done!!!! very nice sir... so your final is with the blue dot?? any changes to the posted load??? or colum?
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

AlaskanGuy wrote:holy moley you got er done!!!! very nice sir... so your final is with the blue dot?? any changes to the posted load??? or colum?
Thank you! Yes, Blue Dot for me. No changes to the stack, I've updated the image above the BPI catalog numbers. There are a couple of points to remember:
  • This is for a smoothbore, it hasn't shot well in a rifled barrel.
  • 3" hull in a 3" chamber.
  • Eliminate the pressure column wad's strut.
I think I bought every card component that BPI offers so that I could start building the stacks that fit.

Where I'm heading with the rifled barrels, is paper patching the slug and eliminated the plastic altogether.
Michael
AlaskanGuy

Post by AlaskanGuy »

well, its always been the smooth bore that has been the challenge. keeping it flying true without rifling has always been a failing with that slug. i am pretty excited to try this combo.. I have always resorted to Round Balls for deer while duck hunting.. just keep a few in my pocket... acuracy is very so so unless your close. this combo may be the answer.. i will give it a try soon as I get a free moment...
larryw

Post by larryw »

+corn +corn
A day late & A dollar short? Story of my life +guns

Return to “Shotgun Reloading”