LLA 2 in 10 ga (I wish!)

Discussions covering the components and techniques of reloading for your scattergun; be it buckshot, shot, or slugs.
mergus
My Press Choice: Load-All

LLA 2 in 10 ga (I wish!)

Post by mergus »

Hello All. A couple of years ago I bought a Rem 1894 in 10 ga that was made in 1910. It has damascas barrels and is tight and in good shape overall. It has 2 7/8" chambers and full and fuller chokes. Shooting RST non toxic ammo as $4 a shell taught me that I needed to learn to be able to load my own.

That need took me down twin alleys of learning which loads would be safe and effective AND where was I going to get the tooling to be able to roll my own?

I now own several modern whack a mole type loaders for loading 2 7/8" hulls, and I'm not really in love with any of them...Then one day while struggling to deprime a fired hull, I set the 10 ga hull on the depriming station of my LLA 2 and pulled the handle. Success! I then placed a primer in the prime station and placed the hull on it and pulled the handle again. Again success!

As you might imagine that fires one's imagination. With the LLA height setting at 3", it will easily handle the 2 7/8" hulls. Oh how I wish Lee would make a wad guide for 10 ga. It would be a simple matter to switch back and forth from 12 to 10 and back again as needed.

With 36 years in manufacturing I understand why Lee might not want to invest $$ in tooling up for a low volume item like a 10 ga press, BUT if they did, they would surely corner the market for reloading short 10's. There are a lot of us guys out there with short 10's who want to use our guns for waterfowl. This particular gun is my late season goldeneye gun.

The last couple of years I've been using ITX, but this year I have bought bismuth to try.

That brings us to the crimp....Due to my unhappiness with the whack a mole type loaders, I have been roll crimping my duck loads with a roll crimper from BPI. Some complain about it, but it works well enough for me. If the LLA 2's crimping stations were just .050" larger in internal diameter, I could use those fold crimp hulls from RST that I've had sitting for several years now.

What say you Lee Precision, you make custom FCD, how about a 10 ga LLA 2?

Mergus
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Re: LLA 2 in 10 ga (I wish!)

Post by Ranch Dog »

I hear you, I think that the LLAII is a heck of a press for the money! I guess they have put their foot down though with the 10, 28, and 410.

Since buying the MEC Slugger, I see where Lee could offer the Roll crimp that the MEC press delivers. In that it uses three dies to accomplish, the LLAII has the required positions to move the shell through the two crimp starters and the final crimp die. There is not much to the MEC dies, they are molded plastic as well.
Michael

Return to “Shotgun Reloading”