Creative Reloading Solutions Handy Trimmer

Discussions covering the components and techniques of reloading for your scattergun; be it buckshot, shot, or slugs.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Creative Reloading Solutions Handy Trimmer

Post by Ranch Dog »

The Handy Trimmer, what a great tool!

Back at the start, when I started on this seasonal slug work six years ago, I wanted the BPI Spin-N-Trim. After three years of it not being in stock, I bought the Trim Dr. II. Boy, was that a mistake. BPI still lists the Spin-N-Trim it is still out of stock. I'm glad it stayed that way, I like nice tools, and the Handy Trimmer is that. For $17 more, you can buy the Handy Timmer.
Michael
farmerjim
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

Re: Creative Reloading Solutions Handy Trimmer

Post by farmerjim »

I have loaded thousands of shot shells, but never done a roll crimp. I guess that you are going to the trimmer to even out the top of the folds to make a better roll crimp. There is no requirement for slugs in any of the places that I have hunted so I don't use them. I read in the forums that some states will not allow a rifle so you have to use a slug. I have the lyman 1 oz 12 slug mold, and the lee 575-472-m mold for 20 ga slugs, but have never loaded them. It might be a good project for this summer.
Good luck on your MOA hammerhead slug.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Re: Creative Reloading Solutions Handy Trimmer

Post by Ranch Dog »

The Trimmer is for both star and roll crimps. 12-Gauge star crimps need a ½" of material above the top of the slug, roll crimps .40" as a minimum out to the ½." That places the outside of the roll, .20" to .25" above the slug. Sure, you can roll any length, but it just makes a deeper pocket for both the dusty bunnies and pocket dirt (that is transferred to your magazine).
Michael

Return to “Shotgun Reloading”