Slug Shooting, I'm Not Well And In Need of Help!

Discussions covering the components and techniques of reloading for your scattergun; be it buckshot, shot, or slugs.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Slug Shooting, I'm Not Well And In Need of Help!

Post by Ranch Dog »

I don't know what there is about it, sending that chunk of lead downrange is making me a bit crazy. I just went off the deep end and bought a dedicated 12 Gauge slug press, the MEC 600 Slugger.

What the hell is wrong with me? I think I need an intervention, but all I'm around are enablers.

[BBvideo 560,340][/BBvideo]
Michael
daboone
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Re: Slug Shooting, I'm Not Well And In Need of Help!

Post by daboone »

Wow the Slugger is a different animal compared to the Sizemaster. I didn't know it exisfed. It sure produces a beautiful crimp.

Yes you are sick and infectious.
An ignorant person is one who doesn't know what you have just found out.

When setting a job up for myself it must be Idiot Proof as well, as I am a bigger idiot than most people I know, and I prove it to myself everyday.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

daboone wrote:Wow the Slugger is a different animal compared to the Sizemaster. I didn't know it exisfed. It sure produces a beautiful crimp.

Yes you are sick and infectious.
I started this, six years ago, and thought it would be easy, but it isn't. Sure, you can push a big chunk of lead downrange and its fun, but there is a heck of a lot to it if you want don't want fliers missing the berm at 50 through 100-yards. There is even more to it if you want dependable, consistent five-shot groups at 100-yards that are 3 MOA or less.

All the YouTube and threads, thousands of them, have one thing in common; individuals like myself have all these ideas, but none support their work with consistent five-shot groups at 100-yards that are 3 MOA or less. Videos and threads melt away without a successful conclusion. There are two exceptions, the premium factory ammo shooters, and those that are shooting premium saboted designs like the Hammerheads. As far as I know, the Hammerhead is the only one that you can cast.

I got into this because Lee's material told me it was easy; two molds and a Load-All II. It isn't so that lead to an older 3" 12 Gauge Lee Loader to do what the Load-All wouldn't. Still, none of that could deliver the roll crimp, so then there are the hull vice, hull trimmers, and roll crimpers (two of each because they are not working), hull conditioning tools (two as well because they aren't working), and finally a low-speed (max 300 RPM) drill press to deliver the needed roll crimp. That was a deal killer. I've had a very nice and expensive drill press sitting around here since I closed my mold business. A couple a months ago, I gave it to a couple that is struggling, and they have a real need for it as it will add income for the family.

I've gotten down to the point that I believe the roll crimp is one of the keys to accomplishing my downrange goals and I don't think that crimp will come from a tool that melts the plastic hull to fold it over. Today, I was supposed to go pick up another drill press, but I'm not as I finally have caved to the way that MEC rolls the crimp over in three stages as premium factory ammo does. For the record, I've never had a reusable hull that has been roll crimped with a rotating crimper. Not one, so there is an added cost to that as well.

The bottom line is that all this stuff exceeds the cost of the Slugger. I should have followed my first instinct two months ago. I've had five previous months, one month for the last five years, that I gave up because none of the fuel I have added to this fire has helped.

I think the Sluggers are a seasonal production run for MEC. I've watched them go out of stock from all, any, internet source. I decided it had to be now or never as if I don't finish this project this year; I'm done. Sure as the sun comes up, I bought the last Slugger from MidwayUSA. I don't know about you guys, but I think it was "written."

Today, I'm going to gather up all the "stuff" and get it on eBay. I will stick with the Load-All II as I feel it is a great shotshell press. I still need to load my night-time hog loads which use BBs. Everything else is out of here.
Michael
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

I'm actually wondering why someone hasn't come up with a three-die roll crimp set to use with an arbor press. I know the guy to talk to about that.
Michael
daboone
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by daboone »

WOW! Yep your SICK. But there's not one of us reading these posts that doesn't understand and has some form of the ailment.

Please post the Ebay list here first!

Please post the Link to who has your mold business.
An ignorant person is one who doesn't know what you have just found out.

When setting a job up for myself it must be Idiot Proof as well, as I am a bigger idiot than most people I know, and I prove it to myself everyday.
JohnnyEnfield
Supporter
Supporter

Post by JohnnyEnfield »

Sometimes "The Chase is Better than the Catch" and sometimes it is not. This is why I quit fishing, for the most part. I enjoy the chase and the catch, but when the chase is too complicated or not fun I back off.

It is hard, especially if you have the mind and personality to keep pursuing the goal. It can drive you nuts and then it is not enjoyable. I feel for you because I have asked myself what I am doing and wondering if the money and time is a good investment of my life.

But I also realize, especially as a man, there are things like this that we need - for whatever innate reason I do not fully understand- we NEED to do these things that keep us engaged and interested, keep the blood pumping and the grey matter firing. I am a blessed man, my wife WANTS me to engage in pursuits that I enjoy (actually loves me reloading, the casting she is concerned about my health but thinks is cool too). I have three beautiful children who are growing into people I am proud of. I love my wife more than I can explain, and YET I still want to sit in my reloading room and tinker with all manner of bullets and loads. I want to try different molds for new projectiles and try to get a certain old rifle to shoot lead well. It can be a ride on the crazy train.

In the end, I am home and making sure everything important is taken care of FIRST. I have only started scratching the surface and realize I will never "GET" what I am chasing if my expectations are too high. My time is valuable, but my mind and heart are valuable too. I am not gambling, drinking, running around, or being irresponsible. It is great fun and engages so many facets of human nature and the mind, I love it AND I get to shoot. Self sufficiency gives me great peace of mind as well.

RD, you are the Captain of this ship. You are an "Old Salt" compared to me, so I say "Aye, aye, Captain". You will know when to cut bait, you will know when something is taking too much from you. You will know when the return on investment and effort is hurting too much. We get in so deep sometimes and just keep digging, so I understand. At the same time, I say "Full Speed Ahead!" Down sizing, clearing out and making things more manageable are all part of any growth process in this life. You know what you are doing. Keep smiling sir, we are in the ship with you so we understand. Don't drive yourself nuts.
Reduce, reuse, recycle, means- resize, reload, recycle.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

daboone wrote:WOW! Yep your SICK. But there's not one of us reading these posts that doesn't understand and has some form of the ailment.
Well, that's true.
daboone wrote:Please post the Ebay list here first!
Here you go: Shotshell Reloading Tools
daboone wrote:Please post the Link to who has your mold business.
The fellow that has my drill press is not going to be in the mold business.
Michael
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

JohnnyEnfield wrote:Sometimes "The Chase is Better than the Catch" and sometimes it is not. This is why I quit fishing, for the most part. I enjoy the chase and the catch, but when the chase is too complicated or not fun I back off.

It is hard, especially if you have the mind and personality to keep pursuing the goal. It can drive you nuts and then it is not enjoyable. I feel for you because I have asked myself what I am doing and wondering if the money and time is a good investment of my life.

But I also realize, especially as a man, there are things like this that we need - for whatever innate reason I do not fully understand- we NEED to do these things that keep us engaged and interested, keep the blood pumping and the grey matter firing. I am a blessed man, my wife WANTS me to engage in pursuits that I enjoy (actually loves me reloading, the casting she is concerned about my health but thinks is cool too). I have three beautiful children who are growing into people I am proud of. I love my wife more than I can explain, and YET I still want to sit in my reloading room and tinker with all manner of bullets and loads. I want to try different molds for new projectiles and try to get a certain old rifle to shoot lead well. It can be a ride on the crazy train.

In the end, I am home and making sure everything important is taken care of FIRST. I have only started scratching the surface and realize I will never "GET" what I am chasing if my expectations are too high. My time is valuable, but my mind and heart are valuable too. I am not gambling, drinking, running around, or being irresponsible. It is great fun and engages so many facets of human nature and the mind, I love it AND I get to shoot. Self sufficiency gives me great peace of mind as well.

RD, you are the Captain of this ship. You are an "Old Salt" compared to me, so I say "Aye, aye, Captain". You will know when to cut bait, you will know when something is taking too much from you. You will know when the return on investment and effort is hurting too much. We get in so deep sometimes and just keep digging, so I understand. At the same time, I say "Full Speed Ahead!" Down sizing, clearing out and making things more manageable are all part of any growth process in this life. You know what you are doing. Keep smiling sir, we are in the ship with you so we understand. Don't drive yourself nuts.
So very good thoughts Johnny. Yes, everything must be kept in perspective. I keep my priorities on family and the land, and the challenge reloading offers is rewarding even if it whips you. At least you exercised the gray matter!

I'm all about piddling, sometimes though, you got to take the bull by the horn and wrestle with it.
Michael
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

My decision to go the MEC has nothing to do with the Load-All II as the tool of choice for any shotshelling loading I do. I think it is a very good design and an outstanding price. When you start buying powder bushing for the MEC, it adds to the cost. The Slugger came with three bushings, but I added the seven more to give me the range of charges that I've been working with. That's about $40. With my fingers, I have to have a primer feeder, that was $70. My Load-All came with a primer feeder, and I appreciated it as it works great though they are no longer available. Bottom-line, the Load-All is a great buy.
Michael
Macd
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Macd »

Long ago in the distant past, In the dim light of a cave warmed by a fire a shaggy headed man took out yet another piece of flint and said to himself " This time I will get this arrowhead right". It is in our nature.

Return to “Shotgun Reloading”