Next shotshell project

Discussions covering the components and techniques of reloading for your scattergun; be it buckshot, shot, or slugs.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Next shotshell project

Post by Ranch Dog »

Once the dust settles on the Slugmaster, I have a New Haven 600 that needs Express BB loads real bad.

This was a discount store version of the Mossberg 500 offered in the late sixties and early seventies. Poor old shotgun, the only scattergun I own, has seen a lot of use in the 47 seven years I've owned. Dove, quail, ducks, geese, and turkey plus this firearm has killed more hogs than any individual rifle I own. Don't talk about that much.

It came with a 28" modified barrel, but the 500 barrels fit it and I have an 18½" (wearing it in the picture below) and 24" cylinder bore barrels. The short barrel has a bead, but I have the XS Tritium front sight waiting on me to install it.

The 24" barrel has rifle sights on it and it is waiting for me to cut it to 18½", moving the front blade sight in the proper position. Been on the fence over cutting it, back and forth. This barrel will be used with buckshot and a round ball. Maybe do something like a 20"? Comments :?:

The first project after I complete the Lee slug effort with my Marlin Slugmaster will be the BB loads for the Mossberg. For hogs, I like them better than buckshot. At 35-yards, my 18½" cylinder barrel will put an entire load of BBs inside the legs of a feeder. I expect to kill at least 3 or 4 hogs and I'm not talking about little ones. The large hogs, hog the feeder at night, standing directly under it. I've killed hogs with a shoot through from a single BB when the lead hog is a smaller hog. Honestly, it is a crazy, gruesome, scene. Buckshot will take the feeder legs out but not BBs, they deflect.

After that, the Lee round ball will be explored with the longer barrel.

I actually started working on this topic this morning but saved it to a draft as I need to get outside. What I was going to say is that I have watched for a rifled slug barrel with the cantilever scope mount for a long time, one that would be available at a reasonable price. Usually, a new barrel runs about $180~$190 shipped and the used barrels are typically very rough. Low and behold, I'm sitting at the vet while my hound is getting his shots and an eBay notice pops up. A seller has listed a new, unused barrel for $120. So, a long story gets longer and eventually will give that barrel ago with those 3" Lightfield Hybred Elites.
Michael
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

Re: Next shotshell project

Post by GasGuzzler »

I have or more current cheap version of the Mossberg 500....the Maverick 88. It too has an 18.5" barrel installed with a brass bead. I got it secondhand (or likely 9th hand) at a local show and it came with a long bird barrel and a Cabela's sock as well as both a pistol grip and a buttstock. I added a heat shield. All it's killed is a couple Tide bottles. I've fired one 2.75" 00 buckshot round and one 2.75" bird load out of it. It's an HD gun waiting on a hunting invitation and a barrel swap for an excuse to kill. Never want it to the way it's set up now.

Personally I would not shorten the longer barrel you have but i don't know the reasoning. Although more expensive I usually just buy the additional item unless I care 0% on ever going back.

There's an add currently for the barrel you speak of (12ga 3" rifled with cantilever mount) with more than 10 left and 20 sold since September...THREE yesterday. This one is ported though.....is that needed?

Almost makes me wanna get one.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from goin' insane.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

GasGuzzler wrote:Personally I would not shorten the longer barrel you have but i don't know the reasoning. Although more expensive I usually just buy the additional item unless I care 0% on ever going back.
Very true. I ought to see how it performs first with buckshot and round balls.
GasGuzzler wrote:There's an add currently for the barrel you speak of (12ga 3" rifled with cantilever mount) with more than 10 left and 20 sold since September...THREE yesterday.
sportsmanssupply2 on eBay

The above is the one that I bought. They must have changed their listing title as the search did not deliver until yesterday afternoon or I would have bought one sooner. With a price drop, usually, it has the reduced banner. More watching now as well (60). They also have a large lot of the 20 gauge slug barrels.

Mossberg recently upped their price on the barrel to $207, and they have always seemed competitive. I ended up buying my 18½" barrel directly from them when they had a sale with free shipping. Right now they have 10% off and free shipping for $186. The next best price on eBay is $188. Among the other places I use as a reference, Bud's is probably near the lowest at $179 shipped. The sportsman supply barrel does not have the factory packaging, but I don't think it is worth $66.
GasGuzzler wrote:This one is ported though.....is that needed?
That is all Mossberg offers and honestly, with the muzzle jump, yes. Nobody should be shooting a slug gun in the field or on the range without hearing protection. I wish my 512 was ported.
GasGuzzler wrote:Almost makes me wanna get one.
Well, it is a good price. Do you have the need? Oh wait, I don't think that applies to this forum!
Michael
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Ranch Dog wrote:...Among the other places I use as a reference, Bud's is probably near the lowest at $179 shipped.
I guess it is slug barrel buying season! At 6:09 I added the barrel to my shopping cart on Bud's to verify the shipping cost. There were ten barrels left. At 6:39, I received an email from Bud's with the notice that only seven barrels were left. When it gets to five, only Bud's paid members can purchase them.
Michael
AlaskanGuy
Founding Member & Supporter

Post by AlaskanGuy »

How are you going to install that new sight?? Is it something you can drill or silver solder??? It’s seems nice and looks to have good contrast..
Any technology, not understood, can seem like magic....
AlaskanGuy

Post by AlaskanGuy »

Oh, and as usual, I dont think I can see a single spec of dust in your first pic of this thread. Not a single bullet out of place.. I thought we talked about this??? Once WHAT dust settles????
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

AlaskanGuy wrote:How are you going to install that new sight?? Is it something you can drill or silver solder??? It’s seems nice and looks to have good contrast..
The sight comes with a threaded replacement bead. Then, you put a dab of epoxy (included), and it snaps over that replacement bead. Yes, it is a excellent sight for my intended use.
AlaskanGuy wrote:Oh, and as usual, I don't think I can see a single spec of dust in your first pic of this thread. Not a single bullet out of place.. I thought we talked about this??? Once WHAT dust settles????
Not to worry, it is a mess right now! I've been working on a spring cleaning of my garage and barn, everything out, cleaned up and back in. Cleaning down to the purlings, even wiping down the insulation panels. It's taking a lot longer than I've expected, it has been at least five years since I've done it, maybe seven. I've been on it since last Friday afternoon, and I had only moved into the barn side yesterday. What this means is that I've been running in and out to keep some reloading projects on schedule, but nothing is getting put away. Of course, this room is part of this building, and it will be last and once again, spotless!
Michael
AlaskanGuy

Post by AlaskanGuy »

:shock: So you say.. I say, without a picture, it didn’t happen.. let’s see this mess... +corn
larryw
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by larryw »

AlaskanGuy wrote::shock: So you say.. I say, without a picture, it didn’t happen.. let’s see this mess... +corn
+1 +corn
A day late & A dollar short? Story of my life +guns
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Michael

Return to “Shotgun Reloading”