Oh Boy, Gonna Get Busy With the Lee Slugs

Discussions covering the components and techniques of reloading for your scattergun; be it buckshot, shot, or slugs.
RBHarter
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Re: Oh Boy, Gonna Get Busy With the Lee Slugs

Post by RBHarter »

I'm going to leave the first week or so of October open for a "fall" gathering about 90 miles north of Texarkana . There is a small group from another forum that started doing a spring and fall Rondy thing . The spring is held 110 miles to my North just into Mo . The Fall event used to be in Crockett Tx , fallings out , poor life choices , etc , made that not possible , so I just kind of adopted it .
I used to go to a Cast Boolits shoot May/June in Winnemucca Nv when it was just a short 180 mile hop to shoot for a weekend with forum associates and friends .

I very much enjoyed the weekends , in spite of the rain , snow , and sometimes skull melting heat . I would encourage such behavior and fully participate if at all possible .
Just a Red neck,White boy, Blue blood American.....
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Re: Oh Boy, Gonna Get Busy With the Lee Slugs

Post by Ranch Dog »

I am still pondering the Lee slugs. I got these ready to try in one of my guns. Two 20 gauge card wads between a one-ounce slug and the BPI Lightning 078 (my thinking is that this has been the most promising pressure wad), on top of a dose of Longshot.

The two card wads keep the top of the wad petals at the ogive, and a roll crimp secures everything in place under slight compression; hull plastic against the slug ogive, not the pressure wad petals. I want to find some tape to place one wrap around the petals to hold them together, delaying separation. If I can do that, I'm going to try sticking everything together; slug, card wads, and pressure wad. Probably with high-temperature tractor grease. It is very heavy and very sticky.

The roll crimp was applied with the STI roller crimper and a drill. This combo with the Cheddite 2¾" hull bottoms out the crimp roll against the slug's flat point.
Michael

Return to “Shotgun Reloading”