brass shot shells

Discussions covering the components and techniques of reloading for your scattergun; be it buckshot, shot, or slugs.
toot
My Press Choice: Turret

brass shot shells

Post by toot »

can they be loaded on a press or only by hand?
RBHarter
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Re: brass shot shells

Post by RBHarter »

I've only dabbled in 410 but those are pretty much a hand to hand thing . It's been a long time now but I think if I do some again I'll use the 460 S&W sizer or a 44 or 444 carbide sizer as needed and the roll crimp but even then you have to wax or glue the over shot wads . I have an old 12 ga sizer also but at $2 a case it's not something I'll dabble in soon . 10 ga maybe ......
For a plain answer , the MEC and Lee presses lack sufficient push length to get the case out of the size/ decap die where sizing is needed . Probably the old Lachmiller early RCBS is the only press suitable for brass case sizing . Most if not all of the brass data will be for felt/card wads and those are mostly a slip tamp set up .
Just a Red neck,White boy, Blue blood American.....
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by Ranch Dog »

RCBS offers a Cowboy Brass Shot Shell Die, it can be used in the Lee Classic single stage with the bushing removed (1-1/4" x 12 thread). It is out of stock in the reference I gave, but MidWayUSA did the best job of describing what it fit among the sources I looked at including RCBS. MagTech offers a full range of brass shotshell cases.

At one time I looked at using .410 brass to load 45 Colt bullets in my Rossi Circuit Judge (now sold). CH4D makes a complete line of brass shotshell dies as well. The .410 is the 36 Gauge die set and uses the standard 7/8" x 14 threads of almost all presses. CH4D is a great outfit to work with. A bit more personal than Lee with the same service.
Michael
toot

Post by toot »

guy's thanks for getting back to me with info.on the question i asked.
Et2ss
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter

Post by Et2ss »

I know this is an old thread, but I'll give my 2 cents.... (which if I only get a penny for my thoughts, I'm in a losing venture :lol: )

I picked up some MagTech brass, which isn't inexpensive to tinker with, but the 2 .410s I have, outside of my Saiga, are

1) an Enfield No1 MkIII Musket, which was converted by India in the 30's, I'm sure from a shot out bore service rifle.

2) An 1895 Mannlicher Straight Pull that was converted in Italy (and proofed as such) to .410-2" post WWI. It most likely was a reparations piece converted for the civilian market.

Forming was easy on these. .303 case for the Enfield, and 8 X 56r brass fr the Mannlicher (the base dimensions are the same as the original 8 x 50r chambering)

I would anneal the cases, use about 13 -15 grains of Unique, fill with cream of wheat, and top with a beeswax plug. These would usually blow out on the first firing, then I'd simply trim to length.

It's the same method I used for fireforming 348 Winchester to 11.15 X 58r for my Werndl 'Extra-Korps Gewehr' Carbine, although sometimes these would have to be blown out twice.
toot

Post by toot »

I just got me a 12 gauge brass cowboy shot loader for loading 12 gauge brass shot gun hulls, tipped $100.00. but only by it once and over.
Et2ss
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter

Post by Et2ss »

Apparently you can find dies for most shotgun gauges.

All but the .410 require a press with the 7/8" bushing. It has to be removed for the larger dies.

Be forewarned, they aren't cheap !

https://www.buffaloarms.com/reloading-supplies-accessories/reloading-dies/shotgun-reloading-dies

Return to “Shotgun Reloading”