Oh Boy, Gonna Get Busy With the Lee Slugs

Discussions covering the components and techniques of reloading for your scatter & slug gun.

Re: Oh Boy, Gonna Get Busy With the Lee Slugs

Postby Ranch Dog » 03 Nov 2018 07

Fired 12 more rounds yesterday afternoon. Punched three through the bullseye at 50 yards. Shot nine at 75 -yards, only two hit the target backing, not the target. Just kill me :|

With the little bit more distance, the three power scope let me see some of the components separate in flight. I actually saw the slug on the final shot. It became unstable passing the 50-yard berm, it's flight became an ever-increasing helical that disappeared in the thick brush surrounding the berm.

I'm kidding myself in thinking that any amount of load work can cure the poor design relationship of the center of lift/pressure being aft of the center of gravity.

This is simply a no/no in cast bullet design. It is said that the 7/8 ounce slug shoots better but I'm not going to mess with it either as it suffers the same ill. What a rabbit hole. :evil:

So, I will hunt with the factory ammo as NOEs shuttlecock design will not be in hand in time.
Michael
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

My Press Choice: Turret

Postby GasGuzzler » 03 Nov 2018 17

You guys that see the projectile are far beyond my skill level. I say you just brush up on your brush skills and become a Ninja. If you get within 50 you're good, right? No more whining. You got this.

All kidding aside you have found a lot of caveats with this type of project and have actually solved several problems even if the end result isn't up to your par. I'm betting you used to vow to make a load with cast but at some point you learned that learning only fixes a portion of the issue if one part of a load is messed up. In this case it's the slug that drops from the Lee mold.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from goin' insane.
GasGuzzler
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Ranch Dog » 04 Nov 2018 08

Ranch Dog wrote:So, I will hunt with the factory ammo as NOEs shuttlecock design will not be in hand in time.

I talked with Al at NOE yesterday afternoon and my 680-500-HB is on the way.

Michael
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Macd » 04 Nov 2018 17

Looks like an oversize airgun pellet.
Macd
Supporter
Supporter

My Press Choice: Single Stage

Postby Ranch Dog » 06 Nov 2018 05

Macd wrote:Looks like an oversize airgun pellet.

Yep, airgun pellets and this type of projectile are referred to as shuttlecock designs. I do have the same worry with it as I expressed about the Lee slug. Same issue with the CG being so far forward of the CP. That's not a problem with the full-bore bullet.

Michael
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ranch Dog » 08 Nov 2018 09

I finally got around to measuring the 100-yard group with the Lightfield 2 3/4" Hyred Elites, 1.239 MOA. I have rifles that cannot shoot that!
Michael
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby horseman » 08 Nov 2018 12

Ranch Dog wrote:I finally got around to measuring the 100-yard group with the Lightfield 2 3/4" Hyred Elites, 1.239 MOA. I have rifles that cannot shoot that!

EXCELLENT....I'm pretty sure I have rifles that will shoot that good but their hinderance is the Jerk behind the trigger.... :oops:
horseman
Supporter
Supporter

My Press Choice: Single Stage

Previous

Return to Shot Shell Reloading