Outside neck turning

Discussions covering the components and techniques of reloading for your long gun.
Ohio3Wheels
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Outside neck turning

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

Those of you who turn your rifle necks where in the process do you do it. Right now after firing I de-cap and anneal, fl size without the decapping stem and run a mandrel in the neck to expand the neck and get uniform seating pressure (I hope), then charge, seat and final inspection.

So, my question is where in that string should I turn the necks? Is neck turning a one time thing? If not what are the signs it needs doing again?

thanks,

Make smoke,
Curt.......makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time +guns +guns
RBHarter
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Re: Outside neck turning

Post by RBHarter »

It depends on your brass .......

It also can depend on why you're turning .

The idea behind turning is to have a uniform neck thickness . That's fine for bullet tension , release , crimp consistency etc for the bullet .

Then we have the clearance needs . This might happen where you have a preference for a particular brand but it's just a little too thick and the neck needs to be reduced to clear in the chamber and release the bullet correctly . I can't think of a good example other than a match chamber or if one had a 303 P14 rebarreled with a .308 barrel and the neck finished with a 30-30 reamer or something .

Formed brass will pay off in turning where the neck of the new cartridge is formed from the neck or body of the parent cartridge . Making 22-250 , 250 or 300 Savage from 308 or x57 from 06' .

On this last one I have mixed emotions having just done some 7.7×58 where I had to form from 06' actually 270 and had a huge neck donut about half of the neck length that showed not only inside after fire forming with Grits but as a defined lump on the outside . I reamed those such that it had contact the full length of the neck and the cases seem to be straight . In a case like this I think if they were only turned that there would be a significant migration of metal inside the neck base .

In a fit of how many times can I use up an 06' I turned the outside down to fit a .453 bullet and headspace on the case mouth in a 45 Colts chamber . There was an induced step but no real movement of metal or suggestions of the bullet base being reshaped so maybe my perception of what I think should happen doesn't really happen .
Just a Red neck,White boy, Blue blood American.....

Return to “Rifle Reloading”