Need some help on 6.5 creedmoor

Discussions covering the components and techniques of reloading for your long gun.
killian6pk
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Progressive

Need some help on 6.5 creedmoor

Post by killian6pk »

I am looking for reloading data for the 144 gn Berger Long Range Target bullet. I have some of these, but can't find any info on loading them. I especially ordered the Berger book because I only find data for the 140gn. Of course that is how far their book goes also. I got really lucky the other day and found 8lbs of H4350 in a small gun store. (I asked who he had to kill to get it) :lol: I had been hording a 1lb bottle for over a year because I thought I might never see it again. Since I got some now I want to use that powder. But, Hodgdon only has data up to the 140gn also.

So can anyone help me out. I emailed Berger, they sent back a form letter saying they don't give out reloading data through email. My head is getting a flat spot from hitting brick walls.
Thanks
Ohio3Wheels
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Re: Need some help on 6.5 creedmoor

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

First question is who did you kill to get 6.5 Bergers of any weight. I picked up a 6.5 Creedmoor about 2 months ago but my store of bullets only goes up to 140s. Hornady and Speer. I started with IMR4350, it was all I could find, then got some H4350 and that's all I've used so far. Were it me, I'd use a starting 140 load and work up carefully, but that's just me. I also pick a Berger load in the 140 so there is a reasonable chance the jackets are the same alloy. If you do Facebook you might join us on the Long Range Shooting group.

Make smoke,
Curt.......makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time +guns +guns
killian6pk
Supporter
Supporter

Post by killian6pk »

Thanks for the reply. The bullets I have found at a local gun store/reloading supplies and online at Midway and some of the usual suspects. When you say work up how much further would be safe? A grain or two or 10ths of a grain? This must be a really new bullet since I can't find info anywhere. Next time I am in the local store and they have some of the 144gn. I will let you know.

I appreciate the Facebook info, but I don't do Facebook or any other social media for that matter. I think it is the most evil dangerous thing ever invented and have said that since I first heard about it. There is no way I want anyone seeing/tracking everything I say especially in these times. Once started there is basically no way to stop this info collecting. Sorry for the rant.
Ohio3Wheels
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

No worries about the rant, I understand.

Interval sort of depends and what the range is from bottom to top for the 140. If you have 2 or 3 grains to play with then 0.2 would be good, I myself wouldn't go more than 0.3 unless I had a lot of room to play in the 140. I've been working with Saterly's 10 round ladders in working up loads and with a case the size of the 6.5 Crdmr I've been using 0.2 intervals Same with the 6.5 Grendel. With the 6.5/06 I'll use 0.3. So far it's helping keep powder and primer expenditures down. It does require a chronograph and I've found it advisable to weight each charge.

Make smoke,
Curt.......makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time +guns +guns
killian6pk
Supporter
Supporter

Post by killian6pk »

I was finally able to get Berger on the phone. They told me the load data for the 6.5 144gn Long Range Hybrid Target bullet with H4350 is as follows
2.80" COAL
38.0gn starting load 2495ft/sec
42.3gn max load 2750ft/sec
Case fill is 100%
Seating depth start at 15 thousands off the lands and once you find a good depth go 5 thousands either side.
Have a good VLD stem for seating die. I use the Hornady with the Micrometer.

I was at the reloading store today but they did not have any 144gn Berger's and can't find them online anywhere either. Should have asked gentleman when they were going to be back in stock.
So that is the poop on the bullet if you find it anywhere. Let me remind you about the Country Attic Treasures in South Lebanon, OH Absolutely the nicest gun store I have ever been in and they carry reloading supplies. I have found powder and primers there when no one else had them. I am also seeing H4350 back in stock in some places now. I was able to buy an 8lb jug last week and a 1lb bottle today. Hope this gives you some good info. I will keep you in mind when I see Berger's again.
Ohio3Wheels
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

Thanks for that. I get by the "Attic" about every 2 weeks just to look around. I've taken to calling about powder. I'm still fiddling around with loads, still breaking the rifle in for that mater. So far it seems to like 123gr Hornady FMJ I got in a bulk buy from Niches I think it was and I think I'm close with a load with the 140grn Barnes Match Burner. Really want that to work out as I bought a box of 500. Really want to try some Bergers, all I seen locally have been 7mm. If you come across some let me know.

Make smoke,
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by GasGuzzler »

There are some 6.5mm 143 grain Berger ELDX bullets for sale local to me. $67 per box plus $12 to ship up to 500. I know nothing about 6.5 CM so don't laugh if these bullets are incorrect.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from goin' insane.
Ohio3Wheels
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

GasGuzzler wrote:There are some 6.5mm 143 grain Berger ELDX bullets for sale local to me. $67 per box plus $12 to ship up to 500. I know nothing about 6.5 CM so don't laugh if these bullets are incorrect.

They'd be good not sure I want to pay that much right now.
Thanks
killian6pk
Supporter
Supporter

Post by killian6pk »

Ohio3Wheels wrote:Thanks for that. I get by the "Attic" about every 2 weeks just to look around. I've taken to calling about powder. I'm still fiddling around with loads, still breaking the rifle in for that mater. So far it seems to like 123gr Hornady FMJ I got in a bulk buy from Niches I think it was and I think I'm close with a load with the 140grn Barnes Match Burner. Really want that to work out as I bought a box of 500. Really want to try some Bergers, all I seen locally have been 7mm. If you come across some let me know.

Make smoke,
I will certainly let you know. I run across them occasionally on creedmoorsports.com or Midway (except now where there are no 6.5 creedmoor to be found anywhere online). Usually if I find them they will be at the reloading store I frequent usually every week, but probably not this week as I am going on a target shooting trip to Tennessee. Long range I think up to 1,200yds similar to the one you talked about in Ohio. It's called Dead Zero Shooting Range near Cookeville, Tn. deadzeroshooting.com looks like a nice place. But, I will let you know if I find any.

Return to “Rifle Reloading”