Ten round Ladders

Discussions covering the components and techniques of reloading for your long gun.
Ohio3Wheels
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Ten round Ladders

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

Has anybody else tried the ten round ladder technique to narrow down loads. With components in iffy suppy I'm finding it's saving a lot with load development for the new 6.5 Creedmoor.

Make smoke,
Curt.......makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time +guns +guns
farmerjim
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

Re: Ten round Ladders

Post by farmerjim »

I had never heard of this method, so I looked it up. I may give it a try on my 22-250, But It would not have worked on my 357 MAX or my 45=70 because the sweet spots were way below max load.
Thanks for bringing this up.
Ohio3Wheels
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

farmerjim wrote:I had never heard of this method, so I looked it up. I may give it a try on my 22-250, But It would not have worked on my 357 MAX or my 45=70 because the sweet spots were way below max load.
Thanks for bringing this up.
I've found it helpful in decreasing the amount of components I'm using looking for loads for my 6.5 Creedmoor. I ran the first ladder using 0.2 grain spacing, found a node that looked good and ran with 0.1 spacing either side of that. This was using IMR4350, I got lucky and found a pound of H-4350 so I ran the second ladder again using it. Turned out the two are pretty close to the same charge/velocity and since H-4350 is temperature stabilized and summer is coming on I'm going to work with it. Don't know if it's going to happen but I'd like to get to 1000 yards this summer. A guy has to dream.

Make smoke,
Curt.......makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time +guns +guns
farmerjim
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by farmerjim »

The sweet spot for my 270W and my 30-06 is a max load of IMR4350. I have not done any 1,000 yd shots due to lack of a 1,000 yd range. I did have a 500 yd one in upstate New York when I worked in Canada. I was able to put 4 out of 5 in a 6 in circle. The 5 was off the target, and I new it as soon as I pulled the trigger. It's amazing how much the cross hairs move on the target with your heartbeat on long range targets.
I still have about 10 lbs of IMR4350 that I bought from Herters back in the 60's for $1.69 per pound. It is my go to powder for all the 30-06 family of cases.

Good luck on your 1,000 yd shot!
Ohio3Wheels
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

I came across a old Bullseye can the other day, probably dates from 67/68. The old cube shape, price sticker says 5.98.

We have a commercial range over in east central Ohio that can get out to a mile. Depending on traffic it's about a 4 hour drive so there is the need to be prepared and not forget anything. State wildlife has a 200 yard range about 3 hours away. Right now taking it slow and trying not to waste components or gas.

Make smoke,
killian6pk
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by killian6pk »

Ohio3Wheels wrote:I came across a old Bullseye can the other day, probably dates from 67/68. The old cube shape, price sticker says 5.98.

We have a commercial range over in east central Ohio that can get out to a mile. Depending on traffic it's about a 4 hour drive so there is the need to be prepared and not forget anything. State wildlife has a 200 yard range about 3 hours away. Right now taking it slow and trying not to waste components or gas.

Make smoke,
Which city is this 1,000 yd. range close to and what is it's name? I might venture up there this summer. In about two weeks I am heading to Tennessee to meet a friend and shoot at a range that is supposed to go to 1,200 yards. This will be the first time I have had the chance to shoot my 6.5 creed past 100 yards since I bought it in November last year.
Ohio3Wheels
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

killian6pk wrote:
Ohio3Wheels wrote:I came across a old Bullseye can the other day, probably dates from 67/68. The old cube shape, price sticker says 5.98.

Make smoke,
Which city is this 1,000 yd. range close to and what is it's name? I might venture up there this summer. In about two weeks I am heading to Tennessee to meet a friend and shoot at a range that is supposed to go to 1,200 yards. This will be the first time I have had the chance to shoot my 6.5 creed past 100 yards since I bought it in November last year.
Not really close to any city. It's Thunder Valley Precision they have a web site that lists the days they have open shooting. I still want to try to get there but I need to finish working up loads before I go.

Make smoke,

Return to “Rifle Reloading”