6.5 Creedmoor New Load

Discussions covering the components and techniques of reloading for your long gun.
killian6pk
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Progressive

6.5 Creedmoor New Load

Post by killian6pk »

I am trying to load Nosler 6.5 142gn Accubond LR with Hodgdon Superformance. I can't find load data for that particular set of components.

Will I be safe using 40.0 gn of Superformance with that bullet? The best semi match I can come up with is Hornady ELDX bullets in 143gn and 140gn. In 143gn they call for 40.7gn of Superformance and in 140gn they call for 39.5gn of SF.

I am trying to get started using up those bullets and powder. I bought them a few weeks ago when it was tough finding anything at all to buy. I realize they are not really the best combination. I've got 100 bullets and 1 pound of powder to get rid of and since these will be the first bullets through my new gun I figured I could partially use them up breaking the barrel in.
Ohio3Wheels
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Re: 6.5 Creedmoor New Load

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

Are those numbers starting loads or max loads?

Make smoke,
Curt.......makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time +guns +guns
killian6pk
Supporter
Supporter

Post by killian6pk »

Starting loads
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by GasGuzzler »

I know what I would do but some people are stuck so close to books that do not agree with each other I hesitate to say specifically.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from goin' insane.
Macd
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by Macd »

Late here now but I will run it by Quickload tomorrow. My approach has been to use a stsrt load at the same or next highest bullet weight.
Ohio3Wheels
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

Unfortunately my version of Quick Load doesn't have Superformance in the powder file. So I can't offer any insight from that source.

Make smoke,
Curt.......makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time +guns +guns
Macd
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Macd »

Ohio3Wheels wrote:Unfortunately my version of Quick Load doesn't have Superformance in the powder file. So I can't offer any insight from that source.

Make smoke,
Same here.
Using my rule of thumb noted earlier, 40.0 grns for the 142 Accubond is probabley slightly below a starter load. If you use the Lee tables you will note he makes very little distiction for jacketed rifle bullets of 142 grn in the Creedmoor.

I did run the bullet through the program with several faster powders up to H4350 and stayed below 50k PSI for 40.0 grains. The pressure maximum for the Creedmoor is 62k (SAAMI).

Hope this helps.
killian6pk
Supporter
Supporter

Post by killian6pk »

Thanks guys, based on what Macd said I think I will go to 40.5gn. This should be a fairly safe load. I don't plan to go any higher with these loads. Like I said they are just for barrel break in. I will save the rest of the Superformance for a more appropriate (or easily found bullet).
killian6pk
Supporter
Supporter

Post by killian6pk »

Well I changed my mind. Think I am going back to the 40.0gn. load. After looking at the Hodgdon site for 142 grain bullets all the powders they recommnend have starting loads a little lower than 40gn so I decided to drop back to my original thought.
Macd
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Macd »

I think part of the problem is you are using a slower powder than those which are listed on the Hodgdon site. The nearest listed powders to Superformance for your bullet/calibre combination are Stabil 6.5 and HV100. The faster burn rate the powder and generally the less required. There are exceptions of course especially with powders close to each other in burn rate or are of single versus double base formulation. My experience has been that if Hodgdon doesn't list the powder it is not the best for that calibre/bullet combination. From what I have read Hodgdon developed the powder for the Hornday line of ammo of the same name. I noticed that Hornady uses a maximum bullet weight of 129 grains in their 6.5 Creedmoor offerings. However Hodgdon doesn't list it for any weight in this calibre. Having said this it will go bang and it should do fine for breaking in a new barrel.

Return to “Rifle Reloading”