6.5 CM Full Length Size Help

Discussions covering the components and techniques of reloading for your long gun.
killian6pk
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Progressive

6.5 CM Full Length Size Help

Post by killian6pk »

When I got this rifle I ordered the Forster full length sizing die and the Micrometer seating die. The brass I got is mostly donated and is a mix of Hornady, Federal and Winchester and some once fired from online source plus now I have been able to find some new brass. I have also bought some factory Hornady ammo.

For the life of me I was unable to get any of the used brass (even online stuff) to go completely into the die. The best I could get was about 2/3 length to go in and then it felt as if the brass was going to get stuck. I used Ranch Dogs concoction and even some Imperial sizing wax. So I called Forster and they had me check the stamp on the die and determined it was one of a lot they had recalled. So they said they would replace it. I was not sure how long this would take, so I bought a Lee FLSD and it came yesterday. Well I am having the same problem with it. I even stuck a well lubed case. I just checked the outside case dimensions on all the brass I have including the manufactured stuff. Here are my readings at just below the shoulder area also there is a reading from just above the bottom of the case where the extractor area starts.
Help me understand this problem please. Are these measurements outside the norm or what should be expected? I have never had this problem with the .223 that I have reloaded, no matter where the brass came from. I checked all the brass listed below and all of it is stamped 6.5 cm. I installed the die as the instructions said. I had already decapped this brass with the Lee Universal decapping die. I even tried taking the decapping pin out of the Lee FLSD. What shell holder do you all use for the 6.5. Lee does not list it specifically?

The inside of the Lee Die measures .463 as far as I can get into it with the calipers.
Once Fired Brass
Hornady .465 (near neck) .470 (near base)

Winchester .466 .470

Federal .465 .4695

Online Brass .464 .469

New Brass .461 .466

Manufactured .460 .465
Ammo
Macd
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Re: 6.5 CM Full Length Size Help

Post by Macd »

Which 6.5mm are you reloading?
Ohio3Wheels
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

I just grabed the new Nosler manual it was close and it shows .470 just ahead of the extractor groove. It doesn't show any diameters further up the case for the 6.5 Creedmore. Some of your once fired may have come out of a near max chamber but it should still resized even if it tight. The full length die should take the brass back to very near if not actually on the SAAMI spec. I know it may sound strange but are you sure they shipped you Creedmore dies and not Grendels? How far into the die does the case go before it either gets stuck or at least wont go further without sticking? New brass from a reliable manufacturer should slip easily into a full length sizer from a reliable manufacturer. A general rule I either gauge or resize new brass just to make sure it's uniform. That's also when I do the initial trimming if needed and any primer pocket/flash hole work.

Make smoke,
Curt.......makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time +guns +guns
Macd
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Macd »

Reread and guess you meant Creedmoor. Doh! Need to get eyes checked.. Normally I would suspect lubrication but you indicate you have covered this already. I ise the Lee lube for converting 270 Win to 7.92x57 and have never experienced a stuck case. Why you are having problems with normal resizing with adequate lubing is a mystery.
klr
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by klr »

I've been able to resize LC 308 brass to 6.5 CM. It's thick stuff and measured .473 at the base. I tried it with several lubes and all of them worked ok. It does take some effort at the press handle. More than resizing .223.
killian6pk
Supporter
Supporter

Post by killian6pk »

The first three cases listed all measure .470 at the base above the extractor groove. I have checked the Lee die and it is 6.5 creedmoor. The case goes about 2/3 of the way in and at that point it is so tight in the die that I have to put a lot of weight on the lever. I mean stand up and lean on the lever. I have never had to do this with any other brass and like I said I am lubing the crap out of this brass. The four fired brass types that I have, 2 came out of the same chamber Hornady and Winchester. The other two lots that I have came out of 2 different guns completely. I have checked the Hornady Manual and the diagram of the brass that they show is .470 at the base and .4620 just below the shoulder. All of the cases I am trying to resize are larger than .4620 by about .003 or .004. The new cases and factory cartridges both measure .460 or .461. Could this .003 or .004 difference cause this? One other point is that I have cleaned the inside of the die with brake cleaner and swabbed it out. I also checked the vent hole to make sure it was open.

Ohio3Wheels wrote:I just grabed the new Nosler manual it was close and it shows .470 just ahead of the extractor groove. It doesn't show any diameters further up the case for the 6.5 Creedmore. Some of your once fired may have come out of a near max chamber but it should still resized even if it tight. The full length die should take the brass back to very near if not actually on the SAAMI spec. I know it may sound strange but are you sure they shipped you Creedmore dies and not Grendels? How far into the die does the case go before it either gets stuck or at least wont go further without sticking? New brass from a reliable manufacturer should slip easily into a full length sizer from a reliable manufacturer. A general rule I either gauge or resize new brass just to make sure it's uniform. That's also when I do the initial trimming if needed and any primer pocket/flash hole work.

Make smoke,
killian6pk
Supporter
Supporter

Post by killian6pk »

The most mysterious part to me is that it has happened with two different brand of dies. I understand the Forster being a recall, but the Lee should not be a problem.
Macd wrote:Reread and guess you meant Creedmoor. Doh! Need to get eyes checked.. Normally I would suspect lubrication but you indicate you have covered this already. I ise the Lee lube for converting 270 Win to 7.92x57 and have never experienced a stuck case. Why you are having problems with normal resizing with adequate lubing is a mystery.
Ohio3Wheels
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

Just looking at case pictures and thinking about some experience reforming cases that 2/3 point is probably about where the case area below the shoulder is starting to get squeezed and 4 thousand can be a lot depending on the mechanical advantage your press is providing. I'm always surprised how much it takes to convert 30/06 to 6.5mmx06 using my Rock Chucker. What has me puzzled is you said you stuck a well lubed case. How does the inside of the case look finish-wise? From all you've said everything equipment wise sounds normal and the cases sort of run average. It may just be that 6.5 Creedmore need more energy than usual to resize.

Make smoke,
Curt.......makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time +guns +guns
Macd
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Macd »

6.5 Creedmoor.JPG
Just so we have a reference to work from.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
klr
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by klr »

Did the case stick the first time after cleaning with brake cleaner? If so, maybe try lubing the die before using it for the first time?

Return to “Rifle Reloading”