6.5 CM Full Length Size Help

Discussions covering the components and techniques of reloading for your long gun.
RBHarter
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Re: 6.5 CM Full Length Size Help

Post by RBHarter »

Tooling tolerance . I had a low miles 06' that had a .450 shoulder . The fat chamber in another gun isn't a big surprise to me .

This is a place where having die sets for something you don't have but might one day come in handy .
Have you got a 308Win , 338 Fed , 358 Win , or 460 S&W die set or a 45 ACP FCD or bulge buster ? Any of these will take the neck and shoulder out of the resizing equation . Removed you have less case to work . The 460 is clear sizing for 1.8" so depending on make it may not be useful , 45 Raptor is basically a 308 blown straight and run through the 460 dies with a 308/06' shell holder .
You'll need a pusher for the 45 ACP FCD after you take the guts out just use it as a push through die . It is possible to crack the carbide size ring but it should get you down to .473 . The bulge buster is the best option really , but may not be available . If you have one great push the cases through and see what you get . It should be very close to 470 .

The 45 ACP , 300 Savage , 308 , Mauser (mostly) , and 06' families share a .470-.473 head/rim body taper is the biggest difference between cartridges the 308 based cartridges tend to have very little while 06' and 7×57 have a lot , competitively . 8×57 would be good .

Did you lube the die after cleaning it ?
Not a Lee bash I promise .
Lee tends to have a lot of lube retention cross hash that needs to be filled with lube while others not so much . I have like 7-8 brands on the bench and have a tank like press for hard to size brass .
Lube the die , try a different lube , the original RCBS case lube was repacked STP oil treatment so the new stuff isn't that but it's not too far off and it's what I've used for most of 25 years . Lube the bottom half of the case and have a go .
Just a Red neck,White boy, Blue blood American.....
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by GasGuzzler »

Imperial wax should have done it if it were a lube problem although too much of it can cause hydraulic pressure enough to dent the neck or taper.

Which press and how it it mounted? Guess neither of those would explain the stuck cases but might explain the extraordinary effort.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from goin' insane.
killian6pk
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by killian6pk »

I did that just as soon as I started having problems getting the cases into the die. Used imperial sizing wax on a foam cue tip and spread it around pretty good. Plus the lube on the cases themselves.
killian6pk
Supporter
Supporter

Post by killian6pk »

Guzzler it is a Lyman Crusher II single stage. It does not have a long handle and is mounted to a 3/4 in plywood base and that base has 4 bolts mounted to another 3/4" plywood piece which in turn has 4 bolts through the top of my workbench. It is secure.
Macd
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Macd »

This is a drawing of a Lee rifle case sizing die. When a case enters the die it is squeezed back to dimemsions according to SAAMI/CIP specs except for length. Brass that is displaced by resizing ends up in the neck causing it to stretch. The die is made with a generous allowance to accommodate this increase in the neck length and unless the die is seriously under spec or calibres are mismatched an oversize case properly lubed should not stick .

I can think of one only other possible cause for your problem and that is a really bad misalignment of the shell holder or ram and the die. If it was bad enough the case would enter the die on an angle and bind at some point after it entered the die. This might be at a different point depending on the place on the case where the side jams up against the die wall.
sizingdie.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
killian6pk
Supporter
Supporter

Post by killian6pk »

Thank you, I will check on the shell holder and make sure it is correctly installed. I asked this earlier, what number shell holder should I use for the 6.5 cm. Lee does not list the 6.5 anywhere that I can find. I have tried both the #2 and #3 and both seem to fit.
Ohio3Wheels
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

killian6pk wrote:Thank you, I will check on the shell holder and make sure it is correctly installed. I asked this earlier, what number shell holder should I use for the 6.5 cm. Lee does not list the 6.5 anywhere that I can find. I have tried both the #2 and #3 and both seem to fit.
From something said earlier I assume the same holder for 30/06, 308 etc.

Make smoke,
Curt.......makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time +guns +guns
Macd
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Macd »

#2 Lee.

Return to “Rifle Reloading”