6.5 creedmoor Reloaders

Discussions covering the components and techniques of reloading for your long gun.
killian6pk
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Progressive

6.5 creedmoor Reloaders

Post by killian6pk »

What dies would you buy today for a 6.5 creedmoor. Remington 700 bolt rifle? What powder would you use for long range accuracy? Do you normally crimp these rounds?
horseman
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Re: 6.5 creedmoor Reloaders

Post by horseman »

killian6pk wrote:What dies would you buy today for a 6.5 creedmoor. Remington 700 bolt rifle? What powder would you use for long range accuracy? Do you normally crimp these rounds?

For long range "precision" (rifle and shooter not included), in "regular dies" I would use either Forster comp dies or Redding. The Forster dies are less expensive (still not inexpensive by any means) than the Redding's but from what I've read are as good. (?) I do not own any Redding dies but I do have a couple sets of Forster comp. dies and they are a pleasure to use. Those two are the "best" over the counter type's out there. Are they worth the cost? Your decision........can't wait for the comments.... +corn
killian6pk
Supporter
Supporter

Post by killian6pk »

Thanks Horseman I am kind of leaning toward Forster. I have heard their seating dies hold the cartridge well and reduce slop.
Ohio3Wheels
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

killian6pk wrote:What dies would you buy today for a 6.5 creedmoor. Remington 700 bolt rifle? What powder would you use for long range accuracy? Do you normally crimp these rounds?

If you're single loading you can probably forget the crimp other than enough to take in flare out of the case, probably because you might find a crimp helps with accuracy with certain loads.

I load for the 6.5 Grendel and a 6.5/06 and so far it's been hard to go wrong with H4895 in both. I don't load anything heavier that 120 or so in the Grendel but do load as heavy a 140's in the 6.5/06. It also like H414 with the middle weight cases.

Make smoke,
Curt.......makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time +guns +guns
Macd
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Macd »

I have found Hybrid 100V the best powder in my 6.5 Swedes (M96 and CG63) with a 140 grain Hornady Match or the PRVI 139 HPBT. I see it is listed by Hodgdon for the 6.5 Creedmoor. My second go to powder is IMR7828 but that is probably too slow for the Creedmoor.
killian6pk
Supporter
Supporter

Post by killian6pk »

What about Hodgdon 4350, Acurate 2700, or Hodgdon Superformance? I have seen all of these listed on videos on reloading the 6.5 cm.
klr
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by klr »

I've been using H4350 and Varget. Accuracy has been good.
My son has been using Reloader 16 with good accuracy too.
We haven't run any across the chronograph yet.
killian6pk
Supporter
Supporter

Post by killian6pk »

Thanks for the replies. I have not been able to find any H4350 and was looking for some good alternatives. I seem to pick the wrong things (mainly guns) every time lately. 6.5 cm supplies (brass, bullets and powder) even dies are extremely hard to find now. I guess it is hunting season that is causing most of the problem. So hopefully supplies will come back soon.
klr
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by klr »

I made brass from .243 Winchester. Just trim and run through the Creedmoor die.
killian6pk
Supporter
Supporter

Post by killian6pk »

I wonder if I can use Large Rifle Magnum primers in the creedmoor rounds. I know the brass comes in both large and small primer sizes. I was lucky today and got my hands on a 1,000 LRM primers. I did not want to pass them by just in case I could use them. I figured at least I could trade them for food in the Apocalypse :D

Return to “Rifle Reloading”