Crimp Help Please

Discussions covering the components and techniques of reloading for your long gun.
killian6pk
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Progressive

Crimp Help Please

Post by killian6pk »

I have just loaded and seated about 20 .223 brass. This is my first reloads for .223. So I want to start slow. I have installed the crimp die and set it up by the instructions. No crimp, so I tightened some more and am getting a crimp starting with neck size of .245 and crimed area being .233 is that enough crimp or should I do a little more? What is a good crimp amount? The brass was run through the full length resizing die. It is Lake City if that matters. Thanks
Ohio3Wheels
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Re: Crimp Help Please

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

Which crimp die are you using? If it's the FCD and you used the set up instructions you should get a crimp unless something is seriously out of wack. With mine I run them down to ram contact then slowly adjust further until looking from above the collet almost closes. Without a case you don't want it closing all the way. I find that this gives me a crimp that will hold the bullet until it departs down the barrel.

Stay well, be safe, make smoke,
Curt.......makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time +guns +guns
killian6pk
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by killian6pk »

Yes it is the LFC die. I did not think about watching the inside of the die when adjusting it to start, just followed the instructions in the box. I was hoping that there is a sort of set amount to look for like .002 smaller than the neck size or something similar.
Ohio3Wheels
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

killian6pk wrote:Yes it is the LFC die. I did not think about watching the inside of the die when adjusting it to start, just followed the instructions in the box. I was hoping that there is a sort of set amount to look for like .002 smaller than the neck size or something similar.
I've always found that if I can slip a piece of notebook paper in the slot it's about right. I mostly just eye ball it and then check the crimp on the case and bullet.

Stay well, be safe, make smoke,
Curt.......makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time +guns +guns

Return to “Rifle Reloading”