Case Lube

Discussions covering the components and techniques of reloading for your long gun.
Shooter74
My Press Choice: Turret

Case Lube

Post by Shooter74 »

Just got my 223 pacesetter dies today, getting ready for my FIRST batch of case prep, the manual with the dies says to use. Q tip to apply lube to the inside of the case neck, this will take a lifetime just to lube, don’t want any stuck cases so what procedure do you use for larger batches? Also spray lube, lube pad or other? A sample of Lee Lube came with the dies and was applied as described but is an extremely slow process, can Lee Lube be mixed with alcohol to be sprayed?
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter

Re: Case Lube

Post by GasGuzzler »

I got the tip from Ranch Dog but you can mix a bottle of Lee case lube 50/50 with rubbing alcohol in a spray bottle and get them from several angles in a batch. Let them "dry" a bit before use.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from goin' insane.
Shooter74

Post by Shooter74 »

Will the lube get inside the neck for full length resizing? All new to me, my first attempt at 223.
mmb617
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by mmb617 »

I use the Lee lube and Q tip method for inside the case mouth. I squeeze out a little of the lube and wet the Q tip with water which thins the lube making application easier. I re-wet as needed. I then set each case into the case block after lubing the mouth. I don't think it takes more than 5-10 minutes to lube 100 cases.

When I'm ready to size them I dip my thumb and forefinger in water then get a little lube on them as again having the lube real thin helps and you don't need much. As I pick up each case I spin it in my lubed fingers and then size it on my single stage press. I can do a half dozen or so cases before I need to dip my fingers again. It sounds more complicated than it is and doesn't really take that long.

From time to time I think about trying a different method but this way is very cheap as one tube lasts through thousands of cases and now that I'm used to it not all that slow.
mmb617

Post by mmb617 »

GasGuzzler wrote:I got the tip from Ranch Dog but you can mix a bottle of Lee case lube 50/50 with rubbing alcohol in a spray bottle and get them from several angles in a batch. Let them "dry" a bit before use.
I read this and wondered why you would thin the lube with alcohol when it's water based. I thought there must be several different formulas of Lee case lube. So I did a search and found a thread here from 6 years ago discussing that very topic.

I'm still not sure I see the advantage of using alcohol as I've always used water and am happy with the results. I like to apply the KISS principle.
Ohio3Wheels
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

I use spray lube of some sort when I run the Dillon, but I use Imperial Sizing Wax for the day to non-progressive press use. If I lube inside the necks it's with a dry lube like Motor Mica. The whole idea of inside the neck lube is to keep the expander ball from dragging and stretching the neck of the case. I've found that this is not so much a problem if the cases are cleaned first.

Mixing the lube with alcohol versus water gets you faster drying and those lubes commercial or homemade work better when completely dry. Some will stick cases if you try them wet.

Stay well, be safe, make smoke,
Curt.......makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time +guns +guns
horseman
Supporter
Supporter

Post by horseman »

I use the "dreaded" Hornady Oneshot on my 223 cases with out issues. Some of the spray gets in the neck so that takes care of that problem. Shake it well, (Oneshot) spray cases from a couple angles and let "dry" for a few minutes, they process brass. For larger cases I use Imperial wax and the Imperial mica for neck lube. Just "stick" the neck into the little jar of mica and done. Lot's of different case lubes will work.
Shooter74

Post by Shooter74 »

Anyone here loading 223 on LCT, if so, what is your setup for charging? I plan to use the rifle charging die with the riser and Auto Drum, wou the disc with the charge bar be a better option?
horseman
Supporter
Supporter

Post by horseman »

Shooter74 wrote:Anyone here loading 223 on LCT, if so, what is your setup for charging? I plan to use the rifle charging die with the riser and Auto Drum, wou the disc with the charge bar be a better option?

If the Auto Drum you have is consistent and accurate I would think that would be your best choice. I have used the Pro Disc measure loading 223 a few years back and my recollection was that the "charge bar", maxed out would give me right at 25grains of H335 but also remember using the double disc kit with it as well with a different powder, don't recall which powder it was though. It was accurate. That had to have been on a Load Master press though as I haven't had a LCT for a long, long time. Funny, I didn't think I'd ever loaded 223 on a LM, but I guess I did....my memory sure isn't what it used to be......along with everything else. :lol:
Macd
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Macd »

mmb617 wrote:
GasGuzzler wrote:I got the tip from Ranch Dog but you can mix a bottle of Lee case lube 50/50 with rubbing alcohol in a spray bottle and get them from several angles in a batch. Let them "dry" a bit before use.
I read this and wondered why you would thin the lube with alcohol when it's water based. I thought there must be several different formulas of Lee case lube. So I did a search and found a thread here from 6 years ago discussing that very topic.

I'm still not sure I see the advantage of using alcohol as I've always used water and am happy with the results. I like to apply the KISS principle.
Alcohol dries faster and won't rust dies. Put a bit of straight lube on indide of first case to lube expander. I also give the die a shot of the mixed lube. I use a big zip lock bag for lubing. Put in cases and generously spray in the mixture till nice and wet then shake the cases in the closed bag. Pour out onto a cookie sheet and let dry. I use denatured alcohol from the hardware store. It is used for thining shellac and cheaper then other options. I guess for 45 Colt I should be using Red Eye whiskey :D

Return to “Rifle Reloading”