Remington 600 ~ 35 Rem Making Me Crazy!

Discussions covering the components and techniques of reloading for your long gun.
Macd
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Re: Remington 600 ~ 35 Rem Making Me Crazy!

Post by Macd »

So I spent some time today doing some Quickload and ballistics calculations on various options. There are not many for this calibre but I figured, what the heck. First I had to decide why I wanted a different load. My 760 hasn't shown itself to be my most accurate firearm even when fired on a rest. It drops moose like a cannon though but with the 205 grain cast it drops off fast at ranges over 150 yards. As I am hoping to get a chance next year for a Caribou hunt, which often means more open country shooting, I decided I wanted a load that was effective out to 200 yards with at least 1300 FP of energy at that range. Trajectory had to be within a 4 inch span out to 200 yards. C.O.L. had to be no more than 2.5" and case fill no less than 95% and no more than 105%. Peak pressure was not to exceed 45,000 PSI. This is over 5000 PSI above the published max EDIT: ( Maximum pressure is based upon the CIP measurement system as given in Quickload not the SAAMI system. The CIP has a PMax of 39,885 PSI. SAAMI has a PMax of 33,500). Tthe 760 has a strong action with the most popular calibre for the rifle being 30-06. Right now this is all paper exercise and if I decide to start making actual rounds I will be working up as per normal. Once last criterion was I had to have the powder in my inventory. Not buying another powder.

So with these "targets" I got to work. After a lot of trying different combinations I hit upon two promising loads using the Speer 180 grain FP #2435. This is a short stubby bullet (.890) suited to the 1 in 16 twist of the rifle. Two powders came in within my set parameters. They are Win758 and H335. H335 was the optimum giving best predicted velocity (2435 FPS) and case fill @ 98.5% in a 1.910" case. Energy retention at 200 yds was 1355 FP. The trajectory for both was very close with the rifle sighted at 200 yds the highest mid-range was just over 3". At 250 yds the drop was just over 5". Peak pressures were in the 42,000 to 43,000 range with H335 being higher.

I have all the components except the bullets which I was pleasantly surprised to find out are stocked by a Canadian supplier. The price is decent at a C$45 per 100 count (about $32 US). Looks like I may soon have another project on the stove and it is all RD's fault :P
Last edited by Macd on 15 May 2020 10:16, edited 2 times in total.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by Ranch Dog »

Well, it is very nice to see that I have driven someone else crazy! :lol:

I've been working with the Speer 180 #2345 since I acquired the 600. Here is the load that I decided on.

I had hoped to see something over 2400 FPS, but just couldn't get there as the accuracy would drop off. I did shoot a nice 8½ year old whitetail on Wildlife Management Area draw hunt.

It was a tough shot because of the lack of a rest so I was glad I had settled for a little less speed with a gain in MOA accuracy (1.68). Honestly, my rifle does not like the bullet, I normally won't hunt with more than 1.5 MOA, but I really wanted to use the rifle for this once in a lifetime draw. It worked out.

Here is my ballistic chart. Speer lists the BC as .236, but I always shoot across two chronographs, 15' and 100 yards, and let my TMT software calculate the actual BC. In my case, it was .201.

I've hit a bit over 2400 FPS with the Remington and I have some loads sitting on the bench for this afternoon that I think will be right at that velocity. Here is the ballistic table for it.

The TMT software will run a comparison between a number of loads for a wide range of factors. This is based on FPE.

I went to Speer's website to look up the published BC of the #2435 and noticed that it is no longer a Flat Point, but rather a Spitzer Soft Point. Interesting. So, the BC has changed. It will be interesting to see what bullet nose you get. I have 288 of the FPs on the shelf. I have shot them in my Savage 170 and the Win M94 35-30.

I will look forward to your reports.
Michael
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Macd wrote:...and it is all RD's fault :P'
In that, the "Topic of the Month" has fallen by the wayside in Daboone's absence. I might have to start a topic titled "Blame it on Ranch Dog!" I've heard that twice today!

Michael
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

The 42.5-grains of H355 was an excellent guess. Yesterday, I went ahead and cleaned the barrel well as I could see just a bit of copper traces. I loaded only five cartridges, don't want to do a "klr" and have to pull them :o ;)

The first shot from the squeaky clean barrel "fouled." The next four were deadly accurate, .614 MOA. Velocity was 2445 FPS with an ES of 5 FPS. I'm not going to change a thing except to center up the POA with POI. The TMT software gave me the necessary adjustment.

Next up is setting up the Auto Drum for the turret and moving into production. That's starting now. I'll check the zero and with some rain and lower temperatures moving in from the Monclova, MX area the next two days... the hog-killing will begin.

[mod="Ranch Dog"]A special shout out to my friend and software designer Tom Myers! You are the man! I think it has been twenty or better years since I started using your Precision Records and Ballistics and I cannot begin to tell you how easy the record-keeping has been. From target analysis to POA/POI adjustments, it is easy, entertaining, and I learn something every time I use the program. Drawing the bullets in Cast Bullet Design is a learning experience, but you learn more than just how to draw a bullet. Being able then to move that bullet into Precision Records and QuickLoad is the cat's meow. I've been using the backup feature you added the last or so and, yesterday, I accidentally deleted the 35 Rem SAAMI drawing while working on a Rem 600 & 760 Chamber Drawing for macd and I. My initial reaction was "oh chit" as that is a lot of data to reenter. Then I remembered the backup, and that took care of that. Thanks, Tom![/mod]
Michael
klr
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by klr »

Ranch Dog wrote: I loaded only five cartridges, don't want to do a "klr" and have to pull them :o ;)
:lol: :lol: :lol: Hey, I only have 10 left and they shoot moa out of my both my Howa and AR.

But... nice work. It's great when a load comes together like that. :t
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

klr wrote:
Ranch Dog wrote: I loaded only five cartridges, don't want to do a "klr" and have to pull them :o ;)
:lol: :lol: :lol: Hey, I only have 10 left and they shoot moa out of my both my Howa and AR.

But... nice work. It's great when a load comes together like that. :t
Yeah, it is nice when it does come back together. I'm interested in seeing what Mcad can do with that Speer bullet and his longer barrel.

As a note, this little bit of shooting I've done with the 600 has brutalized my shoulder and neck. Hopefully, it will brutalize a couple of large hogs. I'm feeding in such a way out back that I hope to get two big ones lined up for a shoot through.

About the brass and my thoughts that better alloys were used for cases years back. The lot of brass I work with is over 20 years old. It was one of the first cartridges that I bought components in "hoarding" bulk as I thought it would not be available now (don't know if it is or isn't because I have enough until I croak). I piece my stock out into "lots" for my various 35 Rems. The 600 has 15 cycles on it, all hammered hard. I anneal it every 4th of the 5th cycle. This RP brass is just as nice as it was out of the bag. It might give up the ghost tomorrow, I doubt it, but I've gotten my money's worth.
Michael
klr
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by klr »

Interesting about the brass. I don't doubt that brass today is built to a bare minimum.

I know what you mean about being punished. I swapped the 358 Win barrel for a 308 barrel on my Savage. Shoulder problems and eye floaters made me do it.

Return to “Rifle Reloading”