Case Prep using Loadmaster

Discussions covering the components and techniques of reloading for your long gun.
killian6pk
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Progressive

Case Prep using Loadmaster

Post by killian6pk »

I am new to reloading, but it seems to me that this process especially rifle cartridges is the most labor intensive process. In watching video's about this process a person handles a case through at least 8-9 steps. Inspecting, deprime, clean (however you do that, wet tumbling adds a couple extra steps), resize, trim, debur, chamfer, inspect, and I am probably missing one or two steps. All that before powder, bullet seating and crimping. That is with just one cartridge. So each case is handled or sent through the process at least 12-13 steps. Multiply that by even just 200 cases and that's 2400 steps. I am starting to think this reloading thing is not worth it. Oh, forgot checking powder drop and primer seating. If you are reloading 500 - 1000 cases and then a pistol caliber or two then we might be talking upwards of 10,000 individual steps. My new Loadmaster is due to arrive today. I am starting to think maybe I should just send it back. That does not even take into consideration the cost of powder, bullets primers and other items (die sets) etc. I maybe shoot 200 rounds a month (my new 1911 will eat a few more) between my 9mm and .223 and I don't have a range close by (rifle about 15 miles away and indoor pistol about 25 miles away). The range situation really limits the time I have to shoot. I am retired (part time job).

Someone tell me I am wrong and talk me off the ledge.
larryw
Founding Member & Supporter
Founding Member & Supporter
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Re: Case Prep using Loadmaster

Post by larryw »

Actually, your right but, you have to consider some of the prep operations
are a "one time" thing for the life of the brass. The other things just sort of
flow together? Also consider, some things people do to there brass is not necessary.
I would never tell a new loader to start with a progressive but since you have,
Take it easy, don't let frustration creep in & take up residence.
Follow the instructions to the letter, listen to RD, Horseman & others here
about the Loadmaster. You have a lot to learn, rhythms & style to establish,
notes to make, mistakes to make, questions to ask, things to throw & cuss about.
Hang in there, you'll get it & were all here to help, don't hesitate to ask.
Most of all, I think you just have to love it & just like relationships between
people, takes time to develop.
A day late & A dollar short? Story of my life +guns
killian6pk
Supporter
Supporter

Post by killian6pk »

Thanks I appreciate that.
klr
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by klr »

I just got a Loadmaster after using a single stage press for 30+ years. I enjoy reloading and enjoying tweaking stuff to make it work smoothly. I would not recommend a Loadmaster for a beginning reloader - especially in 223. I think you would be better off to start with a single stage or a Classic turret press. Especially if you will be switching between three calibers for your 200 rounds per month. It would also let you learn how each step of the reloading process works before you attempt to do all 5 at once with a single pull of the Loadmaster's handle. You also need to consider your troubleshooting skills. If you don't enjoy exercising your mechanical abilities I'd recommend swapping the Loadmaster for a Classic turret.

As to if reloading is worth it, it depends on you. I enjoy doing it and developing a load that shoots well so it makes sense to me. If you don't like working with your hands and experimenting then maybe you would be better off buying ammo. You can also sell the brass to recoup some of your cost.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

I went back and looked at some of your earlier posts and remembered thinking that you had taken a big bite with the Load-Master. You also indicated that it was set up for the 45 Auto and that you would be adding the 9mm Luger and 223 Rem.

I don't have the simple Lee Loader in any of those cartridges, or I would send you one.

What I would recommend is that you sit down and read Lee's Modern Reloading. I recommend this book because there is information about your press. I would forget about the actual reloading and enjoy setting up your press. Read and follow the instructions and marvel at the machine that it is. The only feeder I would set up is the primer feeder. Once the press is ready, I would only send one cartridge through at a time. Enjoy each station for what it is and learn to make a perfect round of ammunition. Buy ammo if you need, but do not rush into this as you will give up on something that will make you a better shooter with your understanding of what it takes to make a perfect round.

Step back from the edge, my brother of the Load-Master. Slow down and enjoy the process and planning. I don't mind, nor would others, providing the details of both setup and moving an individual cartridge completely through the press.

If all you want to do is shoot, maybe reloading isn't your thing. The trouble is that you cannot always shoot. I live with a range and big game that can be hunted every day of the year, but it is not possible to engage in busting a cap every day. On the other hand, my reloading room (it once was an area with a room) is my sanctuary, and I visit it every day I'm home. I can tinker in there 5 minutes or 5 hours, whatever my time allows. There is no doubt that I'm an outdoorsman, but I've spent more enjoyable hours (measured now in years) among these presses than it would be possible to experience through hunts or range time.

When that press arrives, don't unbox it. Wit that box somewhere were you frequent, even where you thought that you might set it up. Give it 5 to 7 days before you decide. See if it talks to you. This might sound stupid, but you will know what to do at the end of a week.
Michael
killian6pk
Supporter
Supporter

Post by killian6pk »

Ranch dog thanks, I had already decided to sort of treat it as a single stage press for a little while especially since I don't need to reload a lot of ammo. I still have a bunch of 9mm and .223 from before the virus. So rounds to shoot right now are no problem. At least that way when the ranges reopen I will be able to collect more brass to load. The reason I bought a LM was that I thought I would get tired of the single stage pretty quickly. As long as this forum is willing to help, I have the ability to tinker just fine. My other hobby is woodworking so I am kind of a tinkerer.
Macd
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Macd »

I have never counted the steps in the process but like larryw says not all are repeated every time you go from empty spent case to finished cartridge.

The fact is reloading/handloading is like everything else in life. It's a give versus get equation. If the time,effort and money given do not result in the individual getting an equal or better return then why bother. For me reloading is a hobby and helps feed my shooting pastime including competitive shooting. The whole process including casting my own bullets to spending hours researching related topics gives me immense satisfaction. I have a modest selection of military surplus firearms and handloading is really the only way to bring out their full accuracy potential. Their is something basic in people that makes us want to create. Shooting my own "creations" is a joy.

I have long ago given up any idea that I will ever save money by rolling my own. I just can't stop buying more toys ;-).
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

killian6pk wrote:Ranch dog thanks, I had already decided to sort of treat it as a single stage press for a little while especially since I don't need to reload a lot of ammo. I still have a bunch of 9mm and .223 from before the virus. So rounds to shoot right now are no problem. At least that way when the ranges reopen I will be able to collect more brass to load. The reason I bought a LM was that I thought I would get tired of the single stage pretty quickly. As long as this forum is willing to help, I have the ability to tinker just fine. My other hobby is woodworking so I am kind of a tinkerer.
I think you will do fine!
Michael

Return to “Rifle Reloading”