Which Case Lube for .223

Discussions covering the components and techniques of reloading for your long gun.
Wyoming T/A
My Press Choice: Progressive

Which Case Lube for .223

Post by Wyoming T/A »

New to the forum but have dabbled in reloading for years off and on---Purchased a Lee Loadmaster and tried the Hornady one shot spray and end up with a lot of stuck cases in sizing die--so what are you using ?? I do use the spray for my 9mm and it is fine !!!
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Which Case Lube for .223

Post by Ranch Dog »

Welcome to the forum.

With the rifle cases, I use the Lee Lube. I squeeze one tube of the lube into a bottle of isopropyl alcohol, the higher the percentage of alcohol the better. I use that bottle as a storage bottle and add what is needed to a small spray bottle (a small mist bottle). I set the cases out on the tabletop and spray them. With the 70 ~ 90% mixture of alcohol, it dries very fast. Honestly, I've used the Lee Lube since I started this so long ago. Twenty to twenty-five years ago, I started mixing it with alcohol on a recommendation from Lee, I never needed anything else.

I don't lube my pistol cases coming out of the Corncob Plus, they are very slick.

You can pick the topic up concerning the lube at this point: https://www.lee-loader.com/viewtopic.ph ... 6&start=20
Michael
Wyoming T/A

Post by Wyoming T/A »

Thanks--will try it !!!
klr
250 Shots
250 Shots
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by klr »

I used this method and a light application and stuck a .223 case in my Loadmaster last night. I'd recommend being generous with the application to start with.
Ohio3Wheels
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

and let is dry completely
Curt.......makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time +guns +guns
klr
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by klr »

Attempt #2 was a total success. I was generous with the application this time.
Macd
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Macd »

Just a tip. Using the alcohol/Lee lube mixture I spray a bit into my sizing die before I start. I also put a little straight Lee lube on the inside of the first case mouth. This prelubes the expander.
Kaiser
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by Kaiser »

I use Hornady "Unique" to lube all my cases. It comes in a small tub where I get some on my finger tips and apply to the cases by hand to insure they all get sufficiently "touched" and inspected. I usually lube six at a time on regular sized cases and more with the smaller .223's. (A little "dab will do ya!) I have an old "ink pad" that I have saturated with Lee's sizing lube; I then utilize a RCBS neck lube tool to rotate them in the case neck once to insure "chatter free" sizing.
I used Hornady One Shot for batch lubing for years, plus other brands, but found I wasted more on the "cookie sheet" than I ever got evenly on the cases. After I kept having an occasional stuck case, of which Lee dies accommodates better than other brands, I went back to hand lubing the cases. I'm very happy with the results without the mess, or the worry of getting enough lube on the outside and too much on the inside. My .02
horseman
Supporter
Supporter

Post by horseman »

For 223/556 cases I use Hornady One Shot and have for several years. Never stuck a case. I also use it on most of my handgun cases before running them through the Progressive presses. Makes things go much smoother. For large rifle cases that I load on a single stage press, I use Imperial Sizing wax. Also never stuck a case with that. There is a U-tube contributor called Panhandle Precision that imparts a lot of knowledge on reloading for precision rifle, very informative and well done videos. He shoots a lot. Guess what he uses for case lube...yep, Hornady One Shot. I've read countless responses on different forums about folks using Hornady One Shot and getting stuck cases. Makes me wonder. :?

Return to “Rifle Reloading”