223 brass (sorta)

Discussions covering the components and techniques of reloading for your long gun.
horseman
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Single Stage

223 brass (sorta)

Post by horseman »

Noticed something interesting today while I was loading some mags for my AR 223/556 with my reloaded 223 rounds. I'm a bit annoyed with myself that I hadn't noticed this much earlier when prepping all the once fired 223 brass I purchased. This brass all has 223 head stamp. As I'm stuffing rounds into some 30 round mags I notice that the shoulders on some of the brass are a bit different from others, quite obvious if you are paying attention. The shoulders on the "odd" brass has a shorter, sharper angle to the neck (like a 222 remington) which gives it a longer neck but the shoulder (on this brass) "starts" in the same place as my sized 223 cases at 1.438 (a case fired in my AR measured 1.446) the case head to start of the neck on this brass measures 1.520 whereas my sized 223 brass is 1.557 and fired from the AR is 1.561. So the "odd" brass has a much sharper angle to it (kinda like an Ackley Improved but not as abrupt) Neck length on "odd" brass measures 2.50 the "normal" 223 is 1.90ish. This was measured with a pair of calipers so give some "wiggle" room here fellas. So, you can see that the only difference really is the sharp angle of the "odd" brass which in turn gives it a longer neck than "regular" 223 brass. I have fired some of these, call me stupid if you like but I see no real difference in this fire forming than any other, and it's not a great deal of "movement". The fired brass comes out just like "normal" 223 fired brass.
At first I thought someone had sized some 223 brass to shoot 222 but the distance from case head to shoulder is much to long on this brass for 222 remington and the 222 magnum is much longer than the 223 so I'm not sure what the heck this stuff was fired in....any ideas???

short version: this "odd" brass has a steeper shoulder angle (kinda rounded) which in turn gives it a longer neck than "regular" 223 brass. IT IS head stamped 223 remington. Edit to add: I have a LOT of these pieces.
RBHarter
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Re: 223 brass (sorta)

Post by RBHarter »

While the difference between the various 223/556 is gross neck dia and throat length , it may not be the exact case with reamer makers .

You have 223 match , 223 Rem , 556 NATO , 223/556 American , and 223 Wylde . Some of these are obviously not interchangeable , I wouldn't want to get a NATO in a 223 Match chamber . The the NATO is able the largest dinged case GI dirty ammo from any of 73 arsenals poly , steel , brass , and hodge podge of bullets loosely known as FMJ .

The 223/556 US is a SAAMI with a tighter body and headspace set on the neck/shoulder jct , and ,556 compatible neck and longer throat . 98% of the worlds 556 will run non-issue but it's bothered by laquared steel and sometimes wrecks rims over gassed .

The Wylde is supposed to have a 556 neck and 223 head with a full open shoulder and long throat . It's supposed to have a nominal 223 headspace on the shoulder datum .

Having 5 reamers with over/under values and manufacturing O/U ............ I would guess that the brass you've described was fired in what I would lable a new reamer first cut chamber . If it chambers freely , no problems . Even if it's a touch tight it'll form on firing .
Just a Red neck,White boy, Blue blood American.....

Return to “Rifle Reloading”