SMLE Scout, 303 British

Discussions covering the components and techniques of reloading for your long gun.
Macd
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Re: SMLE Scout, 303 British

Post by Macd »

I agree that the Epps mod is not economical or without its problems. While researching the magazine issue I came across a VG condition P14 303 Epps for a good price. I may take that route. The other problem is dies. Lee will make custom sets, both a collet die and a FL die with seater die set. Cost is not too bad except $150.00 setup charge for FL die. I guess this is one of those projects that might get done simply because it can be done. Practicality may give way in these sircumstances :).
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by Ranch Dog »

Now that an idea, just buy one. I will start watching, but suspect the odds of finding one are near nil.
Michael
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Michael
mr surveyor
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Post by mr surveyor »

that's one "unusual" looking display. The silly trigger lock thing was the first to catch my eye. Second was that cantilevered scope rail contraption.

But, it may be considered normal now …. I don't get out much ;)

jd
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There's just some things best left unsaid on the internetsuperhighway.
Macd
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Macd »

Here is the rifle I am looking at. A bit confusing as the P17 would be a 30-06 in original form and the P14 a 303B, hence my mistake above. Why someone would re-chamber a P17 to 303 Epps is the obvious question and I wonder if it actually is a P14 mislabeled.

https://ellwoodepps.com/era-p17-custom-sporter.html
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

That is a nice looking rifle Macd. It will be interesting to hear what it actually is.
Michael
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

First the pictures

I had to get busy yesterday reloading ammo as I had run my "Scout" dry! I know I said that I would start killing hogs with something else, but I could not stop. This combo is like a laser, and there is something about the combo that is deadly. I mean, when you get down to it, it is just a 30-30 Win on steroids. If those crosshairs, even momentarily, are on hog hide, the bullet is gone, and the hog is off its feet.

This session brought fresh PPU brass to the bench, I'm sticking to three reloads and toss them with this cartridge. Here is how the ammo was assembled:
  • The cases were run through the APP Swagging tool
  • I then went ahead and uniformed the pockets on the Lyman Prep Center. I had run a comparison between using the APP Swagging and not. Case that had gone through the APP took less than 30 seconds to uniform. Those that didn't, over three minutes, a case on the Lyman.
  • I sprayed the case mouths while in the loading block with my Lee Lube/alcohol mix.
  • I sized them with the Lee Rile Collet die on the Challenger press. I want to only to "true" the neck of the case. I know general wisdom is to full-length size any new brass but in that the SMLE swallows it, I don't want to stress the brass with a full-length sizer.
  • On to the Turret press for on-press priming, powder charging, bullet seating, and a factory crimp.
I started with all the presses (3) empty of tool heads, but in that, all use "quick change functions" such as lock rings, turrets, and drums specific to the load, all 50 rounds were assembled in less than 50 minutes starting with the empty presses back to empty presses.
Michael
JohnnyEnfield
Supporter
Supporter

Post by JohnnyEnfield »

This whole post is an A plus. From your bench to your rifle to the text, A plus. Good luck with the hogs.
Reduce, reuse, recycle, means- resize, reload, recycle.
RBHarter
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by RBHarter »

If the bolt wasn't changed for the rimmed case it may not be Epps but closer to a 7.7 Arisaka AI or 300/303 Gibbs (basically a 308 stretched to 2.5") . I've also read about a number of Arisakas being set back all the way to a 300 Savage .
Limons and limes . They say the 7.7 is basically a rimless 303 but it's a lot closer to 8×57 , shorter neck , more shoulder , similar case taper . It's possible also that it's marked correctly and modified through out .
Just a Red neck,White boy, Blue blood American.....
RBHarter
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by RBHarter »

RD when you toss that brass will it be field throw away or scrap bucket ?

A guy wanting to do 410 could certainly find the really bad ones quickly .
Might even pay something for them more than scrap value .
Just a Red neck,White boy, Blue blood American.....

Return to “Rifle Reloading”