Which one for Elk

Discussions covering the components and techniques of reloading for your long gun.
horseman
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Which one for Elk

Post by horseman »

Decided I would go elk hunting this year over in the Mt Adams (Wa) area with some friends this year. Probably be a two weeker if we don't get snowed out. I've gone over and helped set up the camp for years but never stayed to hunt. Nasty country (in my mind), heavy timber, (flash light in the middle of day heavy) steeper than a cows face and guarantee of snow (which ain't bad for hunting, well, until it gets a couple feet deep). Rifles to consider, 308 Marlin Express with some 170gr. jacketed flat point hand loads right at 2500fps. Marginal maybe, but it is a handy rifle, light weight and very accurate with not much recoil. It has a Bushnell 4200 Elite sitting on top. I also have a couple boxes of Hornady factory 160's for it. Next is my 06', I've pulled the scope off it thinking it would be better for the type hunting I'm looking at and was putting the irons back on it when I buggered up the front sight screw (at ease Larry :lol: ) well I got that fixed and as I was setting up the rear ramp sight guess what?" Yep. Have a new Williams sight in the mail as we speak. Hopefully it will arrive in time to get it set up and sighted in. The load will be 180 grain Nosler Accubonds over a full case of IMR 4831, not sure of the exact load yet until I can run a ladder test but it's gonna be a compressed load I'm sure. Should be able to get 2700fps or maybe a bit more but case capacity is the main culprit. I have the brass all prepped and ready to go. Last is my Savage 111 7mag. Load (is) 160gr Sierra HPBT over 69 grains of Rel 25. Brass is RP fully prepped capped with CCI mag primer. This rifle is fairly light even with the 3x10 Vortex scope and honestly I'm not sure I like it. I did a sight in today with it (above loads) and it does shoot! However, after the first five rounds (I was wearing only a T-shirt, unusually warm today) I had to get a small towel and fold it up under my shirt :shock: . and yes I was using a rifle mount with it on the bench that is "supposed to reduce recoil".....no smiley eye but man that thing hits hard. Actually jumped out of the rifle mount and shoved the back leg of the mount off the rear of the bench. Hey boys, I ain't no wuss, I'm 6' and weigh 180 and am in pretty good shape for my advanced years but man I think I've reached my limit. Maybe it won't be so bad with a standing shot (he's says unconvinced). Anyone want to trade a 7x57 or 7mm08 for a hardly used 7mag??????? My conclusion at this point is my 06' if I get it set up and dialed in, if not I'm pretty sure the Marlin will get the nod, probably with the Hornady factory rounds..................unless I can figure a way to set the Savage up in the bed of my pickup, held down with some big rachet straps....... 8-)
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Re: Which one for Elk

Post by Ranch Dog »

I'm all over the 308 Marlin Express with the 170-grain Flat Points!
Michael
RBHarter
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by RBHarter »

Out west we hunted elk with 30 cal 180s at 2500 fps , CorLoks , interloks , PSP etc at ranges of 50-350 yd . At 2500 you're right at the apex of the 06' both for comfort and target energy (only because it's a convenient relatable number value) . It is outside of the 308 family apex about 15 bullet grains but still good to go . They really like the 300 WM at 28-2900 fps . The season I hunted I was slinging 150s at 2700 fps and intended to hold shots inside 250 yd because that was my best load in that 06' . With 20" penetration and exits the size of half dollars in the hide and baseball sized cavities under the exit holes at 95-125 yd on mule deer I felt comfortable with getting it in the vitals and having it do the job .
Just a Red neck,White boy, Blue blood American.....
horseman
Supporter
Supporter

Post by horseman »

Ranch Dog wrote:I'm all over the 308 Marlin Express with the 170-grain Flat Points!

I knew you would be. But you kinda like doing things a bit off the "beaten path" with huntin' rifles. :D But I do tend to agree with your assessment as this is NOT a "hunt of a lifetime" type deal. I could do it every year as long as I'm upright as tags are "over the counter". The only hitch is it has to be at least a three point on one side to be legal. Same as our deer hunting regs. That doesn't bother me though, mostly my "hunting" consists of a walk in the woods with a gun so even if I saw one I'm not sure I would shoot it anyway. Maybe. A Roosevelt Elk is a biiiig animal and that would be a lot of work... :?

I remounted the scope on the 06' today, bore sighted it at the kitchen table then took it outside to see where it was going to shoot. I have a bunch of 150's loaded up with 4064 that I started with. Took me 5 rounds at 50 yards to dial it in to under an inch with a three shot group. Let the barrel cool, then fired 5 more, opened a bit but still good. Tried the 180's next (factory federals) but couldn't get them to shoot better than two inch three shot groups using 10 rounds on 5 different targets. The reason for 10 was I shot three at each target adjusting in between groups and had a pretty decent group on the third, about an inch high and center cut at a bit over an inch group. (remember this is only 50 yds.) Loaded the 10th round and fired at the next target and hit two inches higher than POA 1/2 inch right. Packed it in. Leaving in the morning to head up to set up camp, Marlin is in the truck. Along with I might add, my stainless Ruger 5 1/2 inch Bisley Blackhawk 45 Colt sporting 260gr. cast RNFP backed with 13gr. Blue Dot powder for about 1000fps an very accurate. +guns
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Good luck!
Michael
larryw
Founding Member & Supporter
Founding Member & Supporter

Post by larryw »

Go get 'em Hoeseman.
We were just talking about this rifle/recoil thing the other day, I knew you
would pull out Big Bertha (7mag) +corn
I don't even think about the heavy hitters anymore, kind of figure
this old shoulder replacement & my old bones flying apart would
really smart?? Nope, .243 gonna be about it from now on.
Yep, I would also jump all over the Express. +corn
Best of luck my friend, Have a blast. Take care & be safe.
PS... Don't forget the post set up/hunt report. +corn +corn
A day late & A dollar short? Story of my life +guns
Macd
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Macd »

Good luck.
jertex
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by jertex »

I can relate to the 7mm recoil issue. I'm about the same size as you and I made the mistake of buying a Browning BLR Lightweight takedown in 7mm WSM several years ago. Put 4 or 5 rounds through it & traded it in on a shotgun the next day.

I'd say if you're more confident with the '06, that's the one you should use.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

So, Horseman, how did the hunt go?
Michael
horseman
Supporter
Supporter

Post by horseman »

Ranch Dog wrote:So, Horseman, how did the hunt go?

It was just great. Got home last Monday. Nineteen days of great "camping" LOL....There were just two of us, Alan my pal of 30 years or so and me. The camp we set up is pretty big, complete with outdoor shower with hot water and a portable out house. The tent is 16x20 with a 10ft "porch" in front where we cook. I'll try to do some pictures. (Can I insert and image from my computer) I know the main interest is "did we get anything". Nope. Didn't even see anything although we covered a lot of country. There were a lot of hunters this year and as far as we know only 6 bulls were brought out. That's pretty sorry for this area, it's usually 100+. Extenuating circumstances: a couple years ago "hoof rot" was found in some of the animals in the herds of the area and I "think" there was widespread culling done at least that's the "rumor". We knew this beforehand so weren't really THAT surprised. We're both a couple old guys so it is the hunt and not the "kill" that's important, and that was a big success. Also to probably a lesser degree the weather was really mild, mostly around freezing at night and 40's to mid 50's during the day with lot's of sunshine. As a comparison two years ago there was over 3 ft of snowfall in two days. Somewhere in the middle would be "normal". By the way this area is in the Gifford Pinchot National Forest about 75 miles from where I live and we were camped about 15 miles north of the town of Trout Lake, Wa. just below Mt. Adams. Big canyons and heavily forested with some areas of swampy type meadows, some clear cuts from older logging (however there is a lot of logging going on this year, more than we've seen in many years) and it needs it badly. (Google map the area and take a look, pretty spectacular country) The Pacific Crest Trail cuts pretty much through the middle of this particular area and we saw where some quad trails have been added also. Not sure if that's a good thing or not although I've owned quads for years and enjoy them, but have also seen how some abuse their use and did see some indication of that there. We'll be going again next year, God willing, but we decided to do it a bit differently, we're taking our 5th wheels instead of the tent setup in the woods and we'll be parking them at Elk Meadows Campground with full hookups that's about 10 miles closer to town... :lol: Like I said, we're getting old(er) and that all day setup and takedown is getting to be a pain. To some of you this "hunt" may have seem to have been a "bust", but it wasn't, we had a great time. Good friends, good weather, really good food and even a few drinks around the campfire at night. Time spent in the outdoors is always great..... (unless you're lost of course :lol: ) gotta love a Garmin.... 8-)

Edit to add: We set a new record with the "trap line", 21 meeses total.... :D

Return to “Rifle Reloading”