question for the reloading Gods :-D

Discussions covering the components and techniques of reloading for your long gun.
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

Re: question for the reloading Gods :-D

Post by GasGuzzler »

"Good" 7.62X39 loaded ammunition (Golden Tiger) in steel case is $212 per 1000. USED 7.62X39 brass is MORE when you can find it. I am not a hunter nor do I have a 7.62X39 bolt gun so financially, reloading it doesn't make sense to me. Eventually I will have to learn about the SKS enough to buy one like I did with AKs.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from goin' insane.
RBHarter
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by RBHarter »

I scored about 250 pick ups when I had mine . @ 35 bullets per lb in cast and 22 gr of powder I got $139/1000 for loading them . Of course I was loading a 200 gr paper patched cast spitzer to fill up the gapping groove dia . 150s or 125s would go farther and I could probably shoot cheaper powders in it as well .

I figure $14/100 for rifles 308 family and smaller cases and $16/100 over for full tilt loads .
Unique is so cheap for plinker/proficiency loads that everything there falls into pistol loads of 12 ga .
$92.85/1000 using the 6 yr old price guide and lead at a $1/lb waited average for 200 gr bullets and 8 gr of Unique @ $216/8# .

I do cheat the system by considering the firstly 50 rounds of any new cartridge costs " die set + 1 mould " + $10 , usually $110 . I see that as pretty when I compare it to 45-70 $36/20 , 264WM $48/20 , and 45 Colts $76/100 . It doesn't look all that good compared to <$200/1000 for 9mm , 223/556 or your example in x39 . 12 ga definitely doesn't pay anymore when the difference in loading vs buying is $10-25/1000 , but 16 and and 410 sure make up the difference . Besides it's not so much about saving money as it is about being able to shoot good accurate loads , always having enough ammo to go to the range for a day , and being self reliant .
There's also something very satisfying about seeing a game animal go from grazing to table fare and knowing that you made every step possible .
Just a Red neck,White boy, Blue blood American.....
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by GasGuzzler »

Good points. I promise the Golden Tiger shoots better than any round I can load. I get free lead and it would still be a break even for me considering the gas check and the electricity plus the powder, primer, and finding brass.

My AK was built to eat dirty steel case ammo so that's what I feed it.

45C on the other hand is way cheaper and more accurate with all home grown rounds as you stated. The subject of .22 and even .17 cast bullets was brought up in another topic but I paid about $0.06 per for Hornady FMY 55's for my 5.56mm so why would I cast them then gas check them? 9mm is cheap to load but brass case OEM ammo is only $0.09 per round.

Guess my off topic point is that some cartridges are best cast for, some are best with our jacketed loads, and some make sense to buy OEM. If I were a hunter using the 7.62X39 in a bolt action, I would chase every minute of accuracy.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from goin' insane.
RBHarter
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by RBHarter »

Gas , in my case I also had a .305x.3165 barrel that would slip fit a .323 bullet in a fired case . The industry standards is .312 for the 303 B & 7.62s . At 50 yd with Brown Bear fmj it was 10x12 at it's best . I got down to 3x5 at 100 with a totally of the books out in the weeds load .
Just a Red neck,White boy, Blue blood American.....

Return to “Rifle Reloading”