Winchester Brass worth the premium?

Discussions covering the components and techniques of reloading for your long gun.
Ohio3Wheels
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Winchester Brass worth the premium?

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

I need to pick up some more 38-55 brass and I can get either Starline @ $46/100 or Winchester @ $41/50. Two different sources which could account for some of the premium, but not all of it. Back when I had to make 40-65 brass I tried to use Winchester cases as much as possible and never had any complaints. I guess I have to question the premium price so just wondering about other folks experience maybe comparing SL and WW brass in the same caliber.

Make smoke,
Curt.......makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time +guns +guns
RBHarter
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Re: Winchester Brass worth the premium?

Post by RBHarter »

I use it mostly for pistols . I like it where I can use it in rifles but honestly most of the rifle brass except the 30-30 is 20+ yr old some of the 06' , 270 and 25-06 is much older than that . The Starline I have used has been long lived also . I haven't had occasion to form any of it or run it hard .

The Winchester I have over 25 cycles on 45 Colts loaded to mild +P levels for a BlackHawk and Rossi M92' . I get 10+ in rifle brass . 9mm , 40 , 45 ACP I'm still looking for the fail point .

I think all of the brass these days comes at a premium . Some time back I needed some 264 WM best buy on it was over $75/50 , kind of stupid since it's a straight neck down from $40/50 7mm RM ........
I've always thought it odd that brass that needs fewer steps or the same steps being more expensive . Run 100,000 30-30 change the headstamp and the neck size run 10,000 each 7-30 , 32 WS , 38-55/375 ....... I wish they'd run basic for reloaders with no or just a prime ID headstamp .
Just a Red neck,White boy, Blue blood American.....
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by Ranch Dog »

I'm a Win guy over the Starline. I do use the Long SL 38-55 brass with my 375 Win, that is the remaining cartridge that I use SL with. I do have to chuck it after the third shot as the necks split.

I buy almost all my brass from Grafs because of the fixed shipping and typically the best prices I've found. Over my lifetime, they have saved me a fortune. Standard length SL is 50¢/case, Long SL and Win is 60¢/case.

Grafs 38-55 Win Brass
Michael
Et2ss
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter

Post by Et2ss »

The Win brass I use for fireforming, holds up quite well.

.348 Win brass, fireformed to 11.15 x 58R

I also convert Win 7,62 X 54 to 8 X 50R, and 8 x 56R without an issue yet
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

My choice for brass has come down to PPU, WIN, and then HDY. I have a large batch of Remington brass for my 444 Marlin. I bought 1K cases when JM shut off the production of rifles in that cartridge. With my pistols, everything is MagTech. 10 years ago, when I had my mold business, I contacted MagTech directly and bought enough 25, 32, 380 and 45 Auto, and 9mm Luger to last me a lifetime. The one exception is the 9mm Makarov. All I could find was Starline, PPU offers it, but not here in the US. So, I did the next best thing; I bought a thousand rounds of ammunition for 25¢ a round vs. the Starline brass at 16¢. 9¢ a round more for loaded ammunition, heck yeah, plus I've found the PPU to be better brass.
Michael

Return to “Rifle Reloading”