Powder Choice and the M1 Garand

Discussions covering the components and techniques of reloading for your long gun.
Ohio3Wheels
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Powder Choice and the M1 Garand

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

I find it easy to get confused when researching powders for the Garand. I have heard it said or read someplace that nothing slower than 4320. It is also said that 4895 (either version) is made for it and looking at burn rate charts 4895 may be at the top end of the burn rates, but what I've seen and read no one I recall has never said nothing faster than (pick a powder). Right now I've got some loads with 150 grain Speer soft points and slightly more than a minimum charge of Varget. This based on a handloader article that indicated this is a good combo. The charge I'm starting with is 10% below his charge.

What say anyone?

Make smoke,
Curt.......makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time +guns +guns
daboone
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Re: Powder Choice and the M1 Garand

Post by daboone »

I'm not adventurous. Never used anything but IMR or H4895. My Garands function perfectly and group 3in at 100yd. Never saw any reason to experiment.
An ignorant person is one who doesn't know what you have just found out.

When setting a job up for myself it must be Idiot Proof as well, as I am a bigger idiot than most people I know, and I prove it to myself everyday.
Ohio3Wheels
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

Understand completely, the HL article piqued my interest and I had more Varget than 4895. Will need to grab another pound next time I'm near a powder shelf.

Make smoke,
Curt.......makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time +guns +guns
Macd
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by Macd »

When my son bought his Garand he was told 150 grainers and 47 grains of IMR4895. That is what he has stuck with and the rifle cycles reliably.
Kaiser
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by Kaiser »

I've owned 2 Garands and still have one on hand. The one I sold liked 48.0gr of IMR4895, but the one I kept did not; however, it does well with 48.0gr of IMR or AA4064. You can purchase an "adjustable" gas port that you can use in conjunction with slower powders, otherwise using the "medium burn" powders (AA2520, Varget, 4064, 2460, 4895, ect.) are easier on the "operating rod" and gives cycling "perfection".
bayou

Post by bayou »

I'm an IMR 4064 kind of guy when it comes to Garand loads. Over a 165-168 grain projectile. The stuff works very well for me!

Bayou
bayou
NRA Life Member

Return to “Rifle Reloading”