303 British SMLE Cases

Discussions covering the components and techniques of reloading for your long gun.

When shot from your SMLE, do your cases look like those in the image?

Yes
83%
No
17%

Total votes: 6

Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

303 British SMLE Cases

Post by Ranch Dog »

Both my SMLE's produce the same results as pictured. I'm in the process of special ordering a custom die from Lee Precision to address the "blow out" in the neck area so that my case shoulders aren't worked everytime they cycle through a full-length sizing die.

I'm considering ordering 25 dies vs paying the setup fee of $150. If I did this, the cost of the order would be $21 a die.
Michael
RBHarter
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Re: 303 British SMLE Cases

Post by RBHarter »

I have a 30-30 that looks a lot like that . The standard 308 die has made a fine neck die for that application . Seems like a standard 300 wsm would do the job on a 303 and allow for a shoulder bump as needed as well . I could see if I can find it and send it down for a trial ?
Just a Red neck,White boy, Blue blood American.....
Ohio3Wheels
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

I had some old Greek ammo that I bought because it was boxer primed and non-corrosive and it was on strippers. It was fine when I first got it back in the mid 90s. Now it shows neck splitting just like pictured about every other round. I also have some WRA 1943 marked loads and they split. I suspect old age hardened brass in both situations. I must try some new factory brass one of these days. So many projects so little time :)

Make smoke,
Curt.......makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time +guns +guns
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

I found this reference on the enfield-rifles.com: http://www.enfield-rifles.com/uploads/3 ... _cases.pdf

Worked my way through smoking the cases and adjusting the sizing die off shell holder contact (1/2 turn, about .0355"). The thin, bright line on the shoulder means that I've got the die adjusted as fine as I can get it. Looks pretty good, will give it a try before I send anything to Lee.

I also bought Steven Redgwell's book, need all the advice that I can find as out of the 29 cartridges I reload; this has ended up being the toughest I've worked with. There is a lot too taking this old BP cartridge and making it perform with modern powders.

So for now, back to the bench. I need to determine the H20 capacity of these sized cases so that I can come up with some load references. With that done, I will be back up to the range before I go any further with a Lee order. Good thing I purchased 1,000 PPU bullets!
Michael
Macd
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Macd »

Case on the left is a brand new PPU. The one on the right a neck sized twice fired RP. I didn't have any not sized.
20180909_180839.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

What die are you using to neck size with Macd?
Michael
Macd
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Macd »

I use the regular Lee die but backed out till it just touches shoulder. I set it up with a black felt marker by covering the neck and gradually screwied in die until the die mark touched the beginning of the shoulder. The cases chamber without forcing. I have some loaded up with Varget. I will post picture of fired case later in the week if I can get to the range on Tuesday. Like you I am trying to avoid excessive and repeated case stretch.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Macd wrote:I use the regular Lee die but backed out till it just touches shoulder. I set it up with a black felt marker by covering the neck and gradually screwied in die until the die mark touched the beginning of the shoulder. The cases chamber without forcing. I have some loaded up with Varget. I will post picture of fired case later in the week if I can get to the range on Tuesday. Like you I am trying to avoid excessive and repeated case stretch.
Thanks, Macd. That is what I did to set up my Pacesetter die. It ended up being 1/2 turn off shell holder contact, which, by the thread pitch math should be .035". I checked it with a gap gauge and that is what it is so I will add that to my reloading notes.
Michael
orerancher
Supporter
Supporter

Post by orerancher »

Have You tried the Lee Collet Neck sizing Die?

Was gonna send off for One. For My .303
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

orerancher wrote:Have You tried the Lee Collet Neck sizing Die?

Was gonna send off for One. For My .303
Yeah, I have one. On this last round of reloading, after full-length sizing, I could not chamber the cartridges. Hang on a day or two. I'm thinking that the detailed setup on the Pacesetter (FL) die will be better than the Collet. I have faced the same situation as I have with the 303 that I'm experiencing with my 30-30 win in the Sav 340. Of course, cartridges are very similar. The problem being that I can't chamber the cartridge after the pass through the Collet die as the case body needs a bit more sizing. With the 30-30, I get two to three passes before it must go back through the FL sizing die but that seems like a lot of working the case. Might be better off in the long run just to use the FL die adjusted a bit out of Lee's instructions.

I know I'm going to look at this with my levergun 30-30AI as that continuous cycle on the brass is not good, plus you experience the performance loss as a full length sized case is formed.

Offhand, I would say that fireforming the 303 to the chamber with full-length sized cases is costing me 200 FPS. I'm sure that is what my chronograph records will reflect.
Michael

Return to “Rifle Reloading”