Strike Two For Starline Brass

Discussions covering the components and techniques of reloading for your long gun.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Re: Strike Two For Starline Brass

Post by Ranch Dog »

For the 32-20 Win, I did have a 100 count box of Remington brass on my shelf. I'm prepping half the brass now rather than waiting on the Winchester. Not sure when and where I got it, but it is new brass. All the fired SL is gone. Need to get ammo loaded up for it as the 32-20 Win is my backdoor gun.
Michael
Macd
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by Macd »

I use Starline 45 Colt without any issues. On my 8th reload on first batch. As an aside I was out at the range yesterday and took a Ruger New Model Black Hawk out to shoot some 357 Mag. R-P brass once fired and it split 4 cases. I also shot a S&W MP10-5 in 38 Special. When cleaning it was pretty obvious the Ruger cylinder was bored noticeably bigger than the S&W. This is the first split handgun cases I have had other than when I used some 22LR in a 22WMR cylinder.
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by GasGuzzler »

Ranch Dog wrote:I don't want to go to that level of effort as I shoot it so little and it is overkill for South Texas whitetails. If the next round of shooting with Winchester brass is a problem. I will part it out.
..... or..... +corn
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from goin' insane.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

GasGuzzler wrote:
Ranch Dog wrote:I don't want to go to that level of effort as I shoot it so little and it is overkill for South Texas whitetails. If the next round of shooting with Winchester brass is a problem. I will part it out.
..... or..... +corn
I tried cycling some dummy cartridges through the rifle. I can see the ring turning yellow, so the etching is shaving brass. I ordered a 45 Colt Rifle Chamber Flex-Hone & Oil to see if that can help. From there...
+corn
Macd wrote:I use Starline 45 Colt without any issues. On my 8th reload on first batch.
Funny you should mention the 45 Colt. As my R92 chambered in that cartridge was the final project rifle in my room.

I would like to say again that I appreciate all of you, more than you would ever know, and I'm not trying to question your experience with Starline. I'm only trying to relay my experience with it. I'm fastidious with record keeping, I've learned I must be with so many firearms and my tendency not to get frustrated with issues but move on to the next. Here is is a view of my recording keeping, this being the 30 Carbine that I'm working through the lulls of my problem projects.

So out of the December '16 frustration with not having my 454 ready for the mule deer hunt, I'm back in time for Christmas, and then I'm getting ready for a January '17 whitetail hunt at Coke Canyon along the Nueces River. This is very thick thornbrush country with limited visibility, and I want to take my R92 chambered in 45 Colt. Like my 454, this rifle is at a point that I've run out of life with my Winchester brass, I even tried stretching it to 13 cycles but had a failure.

No problem with the cleanup, I don't think neck splits are as bad as head separations, I've had a bunch of them over the years, and my chambers have all been okay. So out comes the new Starline and up to the range, I go. The only line recorded in my notes is "%@*&$ is wrong with Starline brass?"

I should add that at the end of the summer of '16 I had spent a huge amount of time moving my Marlin 375 to their brass. I will just leave it at that as it is settled and I'm happy plus there are no options with that cartridge.

Anyway, the 45 Colt brass was bending on extraction. The case rims are canted by the 92s stiff ejection straight up as it exits the chamber. Additionally, the 92s have a small amount of unsupported chamber so they can feed up through the short action and these cases looked like 40 S&W cases fired through a Glock. This is new Starline brass fired one time.

The load is stiff vs. the SAAMI spec, 35.0K PSI just like the 357 & 44 Mag R92 I shoot, but I've never seen this from my 45 Colt with Winchester brass. I have over 1200 shots down the barrel of my 45 Colt at that pressure with the Winchester brass. I've killed more game with this rifle than any other rifle I own including my 444 Marlin.

The fix was easy; I pulled all my Starline brass except the 38-55 Win Long that I'm using with the 375 Winchester and 9mm Makarov. I tossed any that had been shot and ordered Winchester for everything except the 45-70 Govt (Privi Partizan) and 480 Ruger (Hornady). PPU lists Makarov brass, but I cannot find anybody listing it so I sent them a message if I could buy 5K cases directly through them.

I hate to rebuy everything, but I see no options based on my experience with the product. I felt better when I walked into the house; there was a large check waiting for me for the farm implements that I sent to an auction in Oklahoma!

Hey Guzzler, see I don't even sell my farm equipment here. It cost me $325 for the semi to haul it up to OK, but that was returned fivefold plus the value of the equipment. I love auctions!
Michael
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by GasGuzzler »

As someone with 1000 eBay transactions I fully understand. I am not against auctions just using them to valuate common and semi-common items. I would not count an NOS Redline RL20-II (four digit vintage BMX), a 1956 Ferrari 290 MM (eight digit vintage race car), or an NIB first gen Colt SAA (could get to five digits) even semi-common.

Anyway......I listed my 100 .357 cases (new) for $18 and sold it quickly. I have plenty of random .357 brass and the 100 was all I kept back from 2K I bought in 2013.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from goin' insane.
oscarflytyer

Post by oscarflytyer »

Ranch Dog wrote:
oscarflytyer wrote:RD - when did you buy the 32-20 batch? Thanx
I think about 4 years ago, right before I retired. While I still had the income, I was trying to secure enough reloading component to meet my needs for a couple of decades.
I recently (last 6 months) bought 500 Starline 32-20, when I purchased a 32-20 revolver off GB. Had a bulged bbl and returned it. As such, haven't done anything with my brass.

If you are willing, I would happily send you 25-50 of my new brass to play with. If it fails, I want to try to return it to Starline. If it doesn't fail, all yours. Let me know. Thanx
RBHarter
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by RBHarter »

Not to distract from the Star line .......

The fishbelly in the m92's can be beaten with the 303 Britt head tape trick . Both of my chambers were "generous" . The neck was within reason but the body was huge . They have a .450 groove will chamber a .454 bullet but have a maximum case dia up around .494 vs the .484 Ruger chambers .
I'm getting the 16" rebarreled with a 20" barrel that will most likely end up a bit "steampunk" but will have the chamber matched to share brass with the RBH .
The rebarrel isn't just because of the full figured chamber which is also too long there are other barrel defects the can't be otherwise fixed .
Just a Red neck,White boy, Blue blood American.....
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

oscarflytyer wrote:If you are willing, I would happily send you 25-50 of my new brass to play with. If it fails, I want to try to return it to Starline. If it doesn't fail, all yours. Let me know. Thanx
If you are no longer looking for a 32-20, you could return them.
It would be easier to put cycles on the brass with say, five cases rather than with 50. I could do that. I shoot them at 24.0K PSI.
Michael
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

RBHarter wrote:Not to distract from the Star line .......

The fishbelly in the m92's can be beaten with the 303 Britt head tape trick . Both of my chambers were "generous" . The neck was within reason but the body was huge . They have a .450 groove will chamber a .454 bullet but have a maximum case dia up around .494 vs the .484 Ruger chambers .
I'm getting the 16" rebarreled with a 20" barrel that will most likely end up a bit "steampunk" but will have the chamber matched to share brass with the RBH .
The rebarrel isn't just because of the full figured chamber which is also too long there are other barrel defects the can't be otherwise fixed .
I appreciate it, but the problem doesn't exist with Winchester brass so I've fixed the problem.
Michael
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Ranch Dog wrote:
oscarflytyer wrote:If you are willing, I would happily send you 25-50 of my new brass to play with. If it fails, I want to try to return it to Starline. If it doesn't fail, all yours. Let me know. Thanx
If you are no longer looking for a 32-20, you could return them.
It would be easier to put cycles on the brass with say, five cases rather than with 50. I could do that. I shoot them at 24.0K PSI.
On second thought, I've seen what it can do I don't want to take a chance of case failure, especially in my Marlin 1894CL. Sorry.
Michael

Return to “Rifle Reloading”