Strike Two For Starline Brass

Discussions covering the components and techniques of reloading for your long gun.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Re: Strike Two For Starline Brass

Post by Ranch Dog »

Today, I received a package from Starline. Ten cases, that is a nice touch! I also noticed that the cartridges were bagged which is different as to how my brass was received. The bags also provide the terms of their warranty which is nice. Maybe things are different than when I was doing my buying and maybe I'm not the only reloader that has had problems. Hopefully, their current brass is better than what I have experienced.

My shipment of Winchester brass arrived as well so I'm a happy reloader.
Michael
akuser47
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by akuser47 »

I hope it works out. I have bought a lot of starline brass over the years. I hope the company isn't cutting corners these days.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
oscarflytyer

Post by oscarflytyer »

Think I will contact them. Thanx
Macd
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Macd »

I use Starline 45 Colt brass and it hasn't given me any grief. OTOH I was shooting some once fired RP 357 Mag this week and three split just below where the bullet was seated. I shot them out of a new model Ruger Blackhawk. I also was shooting 38 Special out of a decades old S&W MP10. The Ruger chambers are noticeably larger than the S&W. I believe this was a big factor in the premature brass failure.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Macd wrote:I use Starline 45 Colt brass and it hasn't given me any grief...
I hear you, just a "perfect storm" for me. I had thought about annealing the 32-20 Win cases as the necks seem so brittle, but you got to be careful with such short cases or you will end with web failures.

If nothing else it did get me off my rear end to get my side of our conditioned storage building cleaned out (its here on the place). I spent the weekend getting stuff ready to sell. I have a crazy amount of brass for stuff I'm not even shooting anymore. 2K+ 450 Marlin cases, haven't counted the 308 & 338 Marlin Express yet. Dies and molds, I'm going to spend the remainder of the year getting rid of stuff that has been sitting around here. That's good about my change, it shook things up.
Michael
daboone
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by daboone »

Ranch Dog wrote:.....I'm going to spend the remainder of the year getting rid of stuff that has been sitting around here. That's good about my change, it shook things up.
It is amazing how much stuff, handloading tools, dies, presses, etc is collected over lifetime of pursuing reloading perfection. It is amazing just what "time" does to our requirements of "perfection". Used to be i couldn't part with anything. Now at the age of 72 it is easy. Perfection isn't stockpiling tools that just don't get used. For me available space for components is more important than tools that gather dust.
An ignorant person is one who doesn't know what you have just found out.

When setting a job up for myself it must be Idiot Proof as well, as I am a bigger idiot than most people I know, and I prove it to myself everyday.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

I would like to move out to Brewster County, the Alpine area, Moma says not until I get rid of a lot of stuff.
Michael
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

I received the 45 Colt FlexHone this week, great looking brush. I became curious about other brushes as I would like to polish the chamber on the 30-30AI that I did on my own, and my SMLE 303 British could use it. I could find neither, so I emailed FlexHone, and they responded within the day. They suggested I used the 30-30 Win hone for the AI and they have the 303 British, so both are on the way from Los Angeles. Neither was listed on the website, it is more about their industrial & manufacturing produces, but the email asking produced the results, and a phone call completed the purchase. They said always to write or call if I need anything.

Back to the 32-20 Win. My Rem brass was labeled as lot #2, and I finally found the information on lot #1 in my spiral bound notebooks, pre-software records. That lot of 100 cases had ten cycles on it before I moved on to the lot of 50 Win cases before starting with the Starline brass. Going back to the Rem, I had to readjust the Auto Drum significantly because it was deforming the brass. This supports my belief that the Starline's brass alloy is not as pliable as others.
Michael

Return to “Rifle Reloading”