looking for beginner's advice on .35Rem bullet selections

Discussions covering the components and techniques of reloading for your long gun.
alphalimafoxtrot
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Lee Loader

looking for beginner's advice on .35Rem bullet selections

Post by alphalimafoxtrot »

Hey all!

As my title says, I'm looking for advice on recommended bullets to reload my .35 Remington cases. (In another post, I'm asking about pistol bullets.)

I have zero experience on rifle reloading, but have been learning on my .38/.357 Lee Loader for a Rossi 92 and a couple revolvers. I have a Taurus 85 snub and a Ruger Security Six .357.

I'm happy to consider choice bullets that are in the jacketed camp, as well as lead cast camp.

Also a big consideration is access and availability, I don't know who the best vendors are online. I will not be casting my own boolits - so there's that.

Finally, I am also looking for a fairly universal rifle primer that would do well for me with several rifle rounds: .35 Rem/.300 Sav/ .30 Rem/ .32 Rem/ .308 WIn/ .300 BLK.

Thank you!
Adam
I am a regular joe, consisting of 78% coffee, 12% hot air, 9% organizational abilities, and 1% luck.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Re: looking for beginner's advice on .35Rem bullet selection

Post by Ranch Dog »

Without a doubt, I would consider the Speer 180-grain #2435 HCFN the best bullet I've shot with the 35 Rem. I have seen small groups with it than the 200-grain Rem Core-Lokt and Hornady Interlock Bullets. The Remington bullet is no longer made. I do keep a stock of the Speer 2435 on my shelf and use it to establish a benchmark that my cast bullets must meet. I've used the bullet in leverguns, a pump, and a bolt. All have shot it very well.

I don't use a lot of jacketed bullets, but when I buy them, I just shop for the best prices with shipping. I've not bought any cast bullets.

The primers that I have always used have been the CCI #200 Large Rifle.
Michael
Macd
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by Macd »

+1 on CCI primers. Never had one fail. I have some that I bought from a store being remodeled that are over 20 years old and they still go bang every time.

You don't mention if you intend to hunt or target shoot or both with your 35 Rem. The 35 is really a great woods gun out to about 150 yards. In reality I would suggest most shots are well within that range. Bullets designed to expand at 35 Whelen velocities are not going to perform the same at the reduced velocity of the 35 Rem. For this reason I went with a checked hard cast bullet of 204-5 grains with a large meplat and a round shape for easy chambering in my Remington 760. At woods ranges it slays moose like they got hit by a sledge hammer. The bullet is not designed to expand. It relies on energy transfer and wound channel and if it hits bone the results are quite impressive. It is not the most accurate bullet due to its stubby shape and that big flat point but it is plenty accurate enough for hunting. Here is the bullet. This one is made by the Bullet Barn in British Columbia but I am sure an equivalent is available State side.
08-35cal-FP-GC-SLG-205gr-lg.jpg

For target shooting the twist of your rifle and whether it has a tubular magazine are key issues. I don't use mine for punching paper so I really can't recommend any particular bullet.

Have fun.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ohio3Wheels
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

I have used the offerings from Speer, Sierra and Hornady. My 336 seems to prefer the 180 grain to the heavier ones.

For cast bullets I've been using the 180 gr from Penn Bullet. I have a few 180s left from a local commercial caster that's no longer in business that shot a bit better, but oh well. I got an offer for a free sample from LaserCast. It was only 10 so maybe not a fair test but the rifle didn't like them at all.

Make smoke,
Curt.......makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time +guns +guns

Return to “Rifle Reloading”